𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚞𝚎

The air was cold, crisp, and unforgiving as it brushed violently against Reece Westlake's dark blue pickup truck

The air was cold, crisp, and unforgiving as it brushed violently against Reece Westlake's dark blue pickup truck. Scanning the area surrounding them as he drove, his vision was stolen by hundreds of lamps in the dark, illuminating the road with their flickering candles. Every sound was muffled by the harsh rain, the once light drumbeats crescendo evolving into a torrential downpour leaving the three people stuck in the car.

The hum of the engine masked their shivers of cold as Reece sped down the road.

The air seemed to have gotten thick, replaced by sudden gusts of wind that made them jump every time. The sky was consumed by numerous shades of grey, white, and black. A bone-chilling mist licking every surface. Trees veiled in the lightest of the mists, their trunks sombre with cracks that gnarled the bark. Reece's eyes kept watching for the end of the road, the trees becoming silhouettes on the blanket of white, there were only a few hours until daylight took over.

"Driving to your Cabin at one in the morning isn't normal KJ," Nora Garcia said rubbing her hands together in front of the radiator, the three were still in their pyjamas having just gotten to sleep only to be woken up by Kennedy Jade - something they were used to. 

Whenever Kennedy Jade called you answered that was just how it was, facing her indifference fuelled anger was not worth the trouble.

The predicament she had found herself in seemed dire or so she had tried to convince them. It was never as bad as she made it seem, but she never told them the full story- only snippets that seemed to have been exaggerated to get the response she desired.

Today she just needed them.

"You didn't have to come," Kennedy Jade said grinning at her friend from the backseat "Unless you didn't want to have fun tonight?" she said her eyes glinting, daring Nora to object again.

"It's just that, you know your Mum doesn't like you hanging out there-" Nora was interrupted by Kennedy Jade's phone, it rang out startling them, her eyebrows furrowed as she looked at the caller ID and ended the call.

"Who was that?" Reece Westlake said, finally making a comment. He had been silent that whole night only agreeing to whatever Kennedy Jade asked, he was careful not to upset her like Nora usually did, he could tell that something was off with her. 

"That new girl Sadie." Kennedy Jade dismissed "Look, I know we don't hang out as much anymore that's why I need you guys, I miss you and we haven't been on top of our plans to escape for California."

"If our parents would let us." Nora said turning around to see her friend "KJ your parents don't let you do anything without their permission, and mine want me to go to Harvard for Medicine and return a doctor, to add to the family collection."

"Our parents will get over it, I'll be a famous Olympic swimmer. You'll be a famous actress and Reece will finally get his band together or not... honestly Reece whatever you do I'll look after you," Kennedy Jade said, her phone rang out again letting her know of several notifications and alerts. She ignored them not looking at her phone but instead reaching her arm out to rub Reece's shoulder. Reece took his right arm off the wheel and held onto Kennedy Jade's hand. Nora's eyes zeroed in on the lingering between them clearing her throat.