Burning In My Skin

"I missed cooking with someone that won't burn the house down." I truly missed Alli, she's so much fun at parties but I know I can count on her to help me if I need it. 

"Cooking in an underground hideout is not the same." She stated in a sarcastic matter referring to the witch's basement. We both laugh and jam out to music while cooking up a storm like the good old days. 

Dinner was about done and Father's guests have been slowly making their way to the formal dining room. "Oh my God! This is my favourite song!" Alli screams and turns up the radio. 

"I'm jealous, I'm overzealous
When I'm down, I get real down
When I'm high, I don't come down
I get angry, baby, believe me
I could love you just like that
And I could leave you just this fast

But you don't judge me
'Cause if you did, baby, I would judge you too
No, you don't judge me
'Cause if you did, baby, I would judge you too

'Cause I got issues
But you got 'em too
So give 'em all to me
And I'll give mine to you
Bask in the glory
Of all our problems
'Cause we got the kind of love
It takes to solve 'em

Yeah, I got issues
And one of them is how bad I need you"

We sang till Alli yells, "I gotta pee." and leaves me to sing alone in the kitchen.

"You do shit on purpose

You get mad and you break things

Feel bad, try to fix things
But you're perfect
Poorly wired circuit
And got hands like an ocean
Push you out, pull you back in

'Cause you don't judge me
'Cause if you did, baby, I would judge you too
No, you don't judge me
'Cause you see it from same point of view

'Cause I got issues
But you got 'em too
So give 'em all to me
And I'll give mine to you
Bask in the glory
Of all our problems
'Cause we got the kind of love
It takes to solve 'em

Yeah, I got issues
And one of them is how bad I need you..."

"Your voice is beautiful, Katatonia." I jumped a little at the deep voice.

I turn to face Luca, he's a lot closer than I thought. "How did I not hear you come in?" He was about to answer but I cut him off. "Nevermind that. You're on the Council, right?"

"Yes I am, and your Alpha seems to want to kill me since I stepped foot on your front lawn." Luca looks down with a small smile. He then looks up at me, his eyes are breathtaking. He places his hand on my cheek, wiping away, my guess, a streak of flour. 

I pull away as the burning in my skin from his touch became unbearable. "I'm still mad at you not only for leaving me but also for making me run an hour after school." Even though I really needed it.

"Yeah, about that," He paused and reached for the dessert crepes. 

"Not for you." I slap his hand away, giving him a glare.

"Kat!" Alli shouted from the bar area. "Sorry Alpha Rowan for the rudeness by Kat. And you, I leave for five minutes and you take it upon yourself to mess with Alpha's guests?" During the last part of Alli's rant, Luca tried reaching for the desserts again.

"I swear to the Moongoddess, I will bite your hand off Luca." I hold onto his wrist and stare up at him, challenging him. 

"What the fucking hell!" Alli yells. Her face is red and flustered.

Was that Alli swearing? Jake's voice pops into my head.

Yup. I say back.

Alli stomps to get my attention. "I know you have that 'I can't submit to anyone' bullshit but it's the law to not disrespect an Alpha." Her face was even redder and her hands clenched. She has always been big on respect considering she's the Beta's daughter. 

Jake walks around the corner. "What's doing on?" He wraps his arms around his mate to calm her down. 

"She off about something along the lines of me disrespecting this pig or something like that." I casually state, finding this amusing.

"I am not a pig. I'm more like the big bad wolf." Luca states with a tone that says 'in the matter of fact' kinda way.

"See! That's what I'm talking about Kat!" Alli is still freaking out.

The laughter of my brother startles her. "Chill out Alli." He then whispers something to her and she starts laughing. 

"I'm sorry Kat and Alpha Rowan." Alli's cheeks turned a shade of pink in embarrassment. She grabs a few food dishes. "Can you grab a few, babe? And Kat, the deer should be done any time now if you can bring that." I nod a yes to her before she leaves. 

As soon as the two are gone around the corner, Luca pushes me up against the counter. His hands rest on my hips. "She's very respectful. Are you sure you two are from the same pack?" He asks with a smirk. 

My mouth drops and I hit him playfully in the chest. "Yes we are but she's beta blood. Her father is very strict about that kind of thing." Just then the oven timer dings. I push past Luca and open the oven door as the heat and mouthwatering scent of roast deer pour out. I pull the very large hot pan out and place it on the stovetop. "Hand me that platter please." I point to a large platter without taking my eyes off the deer. 

After making the platter look like a five-star restaurant, supper is ready. This is when the meeting took part. Poor little Colton looked like he was about to die from boredom. For once I was interested in what everyone had to say. I even joined the conversation about the rogue vampires and how we could fix it. Apparently, they've been stealing wild game and are getting too close to the humans for comfort.

I've never been interested in this kind of thing. Usually, I would get out of the room if my father tried getting me involved in this kind of thing unless it was about Uncle. 

"Now I know it's hard getting the rest of your pack here with your brother taking over, Alpha Gaskarth. Is there any way we can make it easier to get them out? I bet you're going insane without your Luna here with you, can we help with getting her here anytime soon?" Mary Glover insisted. "Your children must be excited to see her soon." Jake's, Colton's and Father's faces dropped. My face? It froze stone cold. 

"Our Luna..." Beta Tom Star stared but was unable to finish as this was still a fresh wound.

"She was murdered." I simply say.

"By who?" Mary asked in shock.

"By one of her own." In a cold tone, I rose from my chair, excusing myself before I left the room. Everything from that night flashed in front of me. My chest hurt as if a brick wall was crushing me, unable to breathe. I feel myself trying to shift as I ran out the back door. With the emotion rushing through me, I shift before I'm able to leave the yard. Anger burns within as self-guilt rises.

I look back at the house a most of the meeting party stood in the living room and kitchen, watching me. Most of them have probably never seen a shift before. Glade to be their firsts. I was hunched over in a protective position, my wolf completely taking over. My anger at myself is so incredibly much I've lost all sense of myself. I turned wild. My father came out of the house but I growled and snapped at him as if he was a stranger. My eyes glowed bright blue as I showed my teeth. 

Move your fucking feet! I yell at myself. Anything to get myself moving. My paws swiftly turn in the soft grass as I dash and jump over the back fence. How could I do that to my Alpha? I'm out, I did the ultimate disrespectful thing anyone could do to their Alpha. I fucked up, but it's not my fault I'm some rare creature that can't submit to anyone. More anger flows through me along with a new emotion. I somehow make it to the wall, I sit and shift back to my human body. Bringing my knees up to my naked chest, I cry for the first time since that night. For once I don't feel the anger, but instead sadness.

Warm arms wrap around me and pull me to their chest. The burning feeling starts everywhere our skin touches. "Shh, I got you." Luca's voice soothes me as my sobbing comes to a stop. The rising and falling of his chest sync with my own breathing rhythm. Calming me completely.

"His name's Nicholas." I pause and take a deep breath in. "My Uncle."