Fire and Ice

Dusk settled over the land. Yang's polar blue eyes set on the sun that slowly disappeared behind him. Yin's boots made soft, nearly inaudible crunching noises in front of him as he stopped and let himself breathe.

"You'll never learn how to win in the dark if you are focused only on the light." Her voice broke the spell of silence between them.

Yang's head lifted to look at her. Her eyes lighting up the snow as shadows overtook the land. Fear sunk into his mind as he watched the light fade from everything, a chill settling on the land and sending shivers down his spine.

"Do you always move at night?" He called, quickly running to catch up with her as he fought to hide the fear in his voice.

The orange light that shone from her eyes, made the snow race with a million shiny sparks.

"Yes, its easier to stay hidden from the guards. Better for hunting." She explained in a brisk voice, still seeming annoyed.

Yang winced at her tone, his eyes darting back and forth across the plain, his feet making loud crunching noises that Yin seemed to hate.

"Pick up your feet." She would snap. "Be quiet!"

Yin tried and failed miserably every time. His feet naturally dragging along the deep snow. Yin seemed to glide across the ice, while Yang's feet sunk through to the deep powder below. 

The moon set a glow along the icy plains, a hush looming over them, met by the sharp words from the girl whenever the prince asked foolish questions. Her body moved like a shadow across the ice, elegant and quiet. Muted.

After a while, Yin suddenly stopped in her tracks, a blanket of complete silence falling over them. She then fired two arrows into the forest, the cry of some poor animal sounding for a moment before it was cut short.

Yin's fiery eyes widened and she turned towards him. Her eyes blazing madly as his own rippled with fear.

"Don't. Move" The girl whispered.

A whistle sounded, and an arrow lodged in the ice between their feet...