World's greatest assistant

A fun little side of Jess; The world's best assistant, and #1 shipper of supercorp.

Everything was dark. The air smelled sterile, and the only sound was the steady drip of an air conditioner that was set far too low.

All Jess could think about was how many meetings she had to reschedule.

There was no way of knowing how long she’d been there. The only method she had of tracking time was her captor’s daily appearance during which she was brought food and water.

Always with that blinking light. 

The blinking light that belonged to the Bluetooth headset that was rightfully hers.

It floated above her, taunting her.

One day—or was it evening—the door to her small room slammed open.

“How do you do it? That woman is impossible!” her captor snapped.

Jess pushed herself up from the bed to which her wrist was chained and was quiet, listening intently.

“I had to rearrange her meeting with R&D four times just so she could get matcha lattes with that infuriating Kara Danvers! What the heck even is matcha?” Jess’s captor paced back and forth, clearly venting more for herself than actually asking, but Jess took in every word. It sounded like Miss Luthor and Miss Danvers were doing well, which was a huge relief.

Her captor continued, putting on a voice that was clearly meant to mimic Miss Luthor’s—it was an insult, truly.

“’Alana, can you get me the latest issue of CatCo magazine?’, ‘Alana, go get me ten years’ worth of files so I can help Kara with some story’, ‘Alana, buy every plumeria in the city’.” Jess’s captor, who, as it turned out, was named Alana, gave an exasperated groan. “Where do you even find plumerias?”

“The Secret Garden on Sixth Street has them, but sometimes they’re out so you have to go to Chester House on Liberty Avenue. They’re further away, but they have the most exquisite colours—“

“We get it,” Alana snapped, irritated. “You’re the world’s greatest assistant.” 

Jess twisted her lips into a frown and watched as Alana busied herself pouring water into a bottle for her and arranged a meagre meal on a tray.

“Lillian had better be grateful for all the crap I’ve had to put up with,” Alana muttered. “Though if she’s anything like her daughter, she probably won’t be.” 

“Don’t you dare talk about Miss Luthor like that. Being her assistant is an honour and a privilege,” Jess seethed, unable to help herself.

Alana scoffed. “Please. You have no idea what true power is until you’ve served a real Luthor. It’s only a matter of time before I’m at her side again. Tonight can’t come soon enough,” she murmured to herself, not realising she had given Jess a critical piece of information.

Something was coming. Jess had to escape tonight.

When Alana left, Jess examined the resources she had at her disposal. All she had was her meal: a plastic cup of water, and a tray with an apple, some bread, and a pad of butter.

Butter.

She’d watched enough crappy action movies with her roommate to believe that could work.

She picked up the butter and lubricated the rings of the cuffs and her hands, smirking satisfactorily as she was able to move her hands slightly more freely than she had in days. It took hours, and by the time she slipped free, her hands were red and raw and throbbing.