Chapter One: The Nazi's Five Rules

"Each of you comes here today hopeful. A month ago, you were in med school, being taught by Doctors. Today...you are the Doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say help to your competition." Was this guy an expert on intimidating speeches, or what? I looked around the room at the people around me. A guy with shaggy brown hair was staring at me, but quickly looked away when I made eye-contact. A Korean woman met my eyes coldly, and just stared at me. Another guy with brown hair and scruff on his face raked his eyes over my body, and I felt the need to pull my jacket tighter around me. "Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play...that's up to you. "

I was currently living my dream. My first day as an intern at Seattle Grace Hospital. So, if that is, indeed, the case, why do I feel like I want to throw up?

They led us to the locker room, where we changed into our scrubs, lab coats, and stethoscopes. I felt like a child on Christmas, with the thought running circles in my head: 'This is it. It's official. I'm finally here'. I smiled to myself, pulling my hair up into a high ponytail, when a guy with a clipboard came in.

"Ok, Martin, Robinson, Bond, Hawkins."

"Only seven women out of twenty." The girl beside me stated.

"Yeah. I hear one of them's a model. Seriously, that's gonna help with the respect thing?"

"To be fair, the chances of us earning respect as interns is slim to none anyway." I pointed out.

"You're Christina right?" Another series of names started being called out.

"Which resident are you assigned to? I got Bailey." Christina asked.

"The Nazi? Me too."

"Same here." I agreed.

"You got the Nazi?" The guy that was staring at me earlier asked. "So did I. At least we'll be tortured together, right?" I nodded. "I'm George. O'Malley. We met at the mixer, you had on a black dress with a slit up the side, strappy sandals, and..." He said to me. The three of us looked at each other. "Now you think I'm gay. No, I'm not gay." Christina walked away, and the other girl followed after her. "It's just uh...you were very unforgettable."

"George, you said?" I asked. He nodded. I shook his hand.

"Delaine." 

"O'Malley, Yang, Grey, Stevens, Shepard." 

"Bailey?" Christina asked the guy.

"At the end of the hall." We all looked to see a short black woman.

"That's the nazi?" Christina asked.

"I thought the nazi would be a guy." George stated.

"I thought the Nazi would be...a Nazi."

"Maybe it's professional jealousy. Maybe she's brilliant, and they call her a Nazi because they're jealous. Maybe she's nice." The londe girl with us said hotly, walking ahead of the clump.

"Let me guess. YOu're the model." I struggled not to roll my eyes at Christina. If anything, I respect this girl more for what she's doing. She walked up to Bailey.

"Hi. I'm Isobel Stevens, but everyone calls me Izzie." She stuck her hand out for Bailey to shake. Bailey looked at her hand, then at all of us.

"I have five rules, memorize them. Rule number one-Don't bother sucking up. I already hate ya, that's not gonna change. Trauma protocol, phone list, pagers. Nurses will page you. You will answer every page at a run-a run!" I was the first to grab my pager, running after her. "That's rule number two. Your first shift starts now and lasts fourty-eight hours. You're interns, grunts, nobodies, buttom of the surgical food chain. You run labs, write orders, work every second night until you drop, and don't complain." She took us into a room with messy bunk beds. "The on call room. The attendings hog them, sleep when you can, where you can, which brings me to rule number three. If I'm sleeping, don't wake me unless your patient is actually dying.  Rule numbe four, the dying patient better not be dead when I get there. Not only will you have killed someone, you would ahve woke me for no good resaon. We clear?" The girl from earlier, whose lsat name was Grey, but first name I didn't know, rasied her hand.

"yes?"

"You ssaid five rules. That was only four." Bailey's pager went off.

"Rule number five-when I move, you move." She took off running and we followed her through a clump of Doctors. "Get out of my way!"

~~~

We loaded a gurney onto the roof as a helicopter landed, blowing our hair around our faces.

"What do we got?" Bailey asked as we loaded ger onto the gurney.

"Katie Bryce, fifteen-year-old female, new onsent seizures, intermittent for the past week. IV lost en route, started grand mal seizing as we descended." We quickly loaded her into a room.

"Alright, get her on her side. Izzie, ten milligrams diazepam, I.M. No, no, the white lead is on the right," She told Grey, "Righty, whity, smoke over fire. Delaine, a large bore IV, don't let the blood hemolize, let's go!" I stuck the needle into her arm, taping it in place and her seizing stopped.

"What do we have?" A black guy asked, entering the room, "A wet fish on dry land?"

"Absolutely, Dr. Burke."

"Dr. Bailey, let's shotgun her."

"That means every test in the book C.T., CBC, Chem-7, Tox screen. Christina, you're on labs. George and Delaine, I want you on Patient work-ups. Meredith, get Katie for a C.T. She's your responsibility now."

"Wait, what about me?" Izzie asked.

"You...Honey, you get to do rectal exams." She looked at me, and I mouthed 'I'm sorry'. She nodded. George stepped up next to me.

"Looks like you're with me." He said. I nodded.

"Looks like it. Get a move on, O'Malley. We don't have all day." I replied, walking out of the room.