Chapter Three: Trouble In Derekville

The shift went on pretty smoothly. I had no terrible issues. I stood the nurses station, looking over a chart, when I head one of the guys from the viewing room talking to a nurse.

"4B's got post-op pneumonia. Let's start antibiotics."

"Are you sure that's the right diagnosis?" The nurse asked.

"Well, I don't know. I'm only an intern. Here's an idea, why don't you go spend four years in med school and then let me know if it's the right diagnosis." I rolled my eyes. "She's short of breath, she's got fever. She's Post-Op. Start the antibiotics." He came over, standing next to me. "I'm Alex. I'm with Jeremy. You're with the Nazi, right?"

"She could be splinting or have a P.E." I replied, looking up at him. "It might not be Pneumonia." 

"Like I said, I hate nurses."

"Yeah and I hate pompous jerk-wads who think their God's gift to the medical profession and talk down to the nursing staff, but hey, we're Doctors. Sometimes we have to deal with a little discomfort, but now I know that it's name is Alex. Didn't you hear? He's with Jeremy." I walked away from him, angrily clutching the chart in my hands. 

~~~George~~~

I watched Delaine stalk out of the room as I walked over to the Nurses station.

"Hey, is she seeing anybody?" Alex asked the guy next to him.

"I don't know." He whistled.

"She's hot."

"I'm friends with her." I stated. "I mean, kind of friends, not actually friends, exactly-But we're tight. And we hang out. "The other guy walked away. " I mean, really only just today."

"Dude, Dude. Stop talking." I nodded. He was right though. Delaine is hot. And she'd also never be interested in him.

Right?

~~~Delaine~~~
It was fast approaching on hour twenty-four. A full day I'd been here. One day to go. I walked across the walkway in front of the window as the sun came up, spotting Derek watching it. I stopped beside him, looking at the son.

"Twenty-four hours, huh?" I nodded.

"I'm exhausted but...feeling gratified." He nodded in agreement.

"Did I tell you? About the girl I met last night at the bar?" I shook my head.

"I don't believe so."

"Well, I met her last night at the bar. She took me back to her place-"

"I can put the pieces together, thanks Derek." I interrupted.

"So...I get to work this morning to discover...she's an intern." I looked at him with wide eyes.

"Who?!"  He shook his head.

"I don't want to say." Judging by the look on his face, I knew.

"Oh my gosh, she's on my team, isn't she?" I asked. There were only three of us. Izzie, not his type, Christina, Derek's not her type, so that leaves... I gasped, covering my hand with my mouth. "Oh my gosh, you slept with Meredith?!" 

"Would you keep your voice down!" He scolded, looking around. "I didn't know she was an intern at the time." 

"Oh, so that makes it ok." I said sarcastically. "Do you like her?" He sighed.

"Yeah...yeah, I do." I nodded.

"Well...I don't dislike her, so you have my blessing...aside from the obvious career gaps, and the fact that, if you favor her because you're involved I will kill you."

"Of course not! Why would I do that?!" I raised my eyebrows. "I won't, I promise."

"Good." I rubbed my eyes. "This whole...no sleep thing gets easier, right?"

"Of course."

"Are you lying?"

"Of course." I shoved him.

"I gotta get back to work. See you later?"

"Yeah, yeah. See ya...my wittle baby sister." I glared at him.

"Kill you! I know how to use a scalpel!" I turned away from him, rolling my eyes and laughing. 

~~~

I collapsed into the chair beside George, my head on his shoulder.

"Long day?" He asked.

"The longest."

"What are you doing?" I sat up seeing Meredith and Christina sitting on a desk.

"I'm suturing a banana with the vain hope that it wakes up my brain." George laughed.

"What are you smilin' at, 007?" We both looked up at her at the same time. "I'm sorry, I get mean when I'm tired."

"Is she always tired?" I muttered to myself.

"You know what? I don't care.  I comforted a family, and I got to hang out in the OR today. All is well."

"Oh yeah, did Tony go into surgery?" I asked. He nodded.

"Does anyone know why we're here?" Christina questioned.

"Well, good morning." I looked up to see Derek, and I glanced at Meredith. She tensed slightly, looking at her lap. "I'm gonna do something pretty rare for a surgeon. I'm gonna asked interns for help. I've got this kid, Katie Bryce. Right now, she's a mystery. She doesn't respond to our meds. The labs are clean, the scans are pure, but she's having seizures-Grand Mal seizures with no visible cause. She's a ticking clock. She's gonna die if I don't make a diagnosis, which is where you come in. I can't do it alone. I need your extra minds, extra eyes. I need you to play detective. I need you to find out why Katie is having seizures. I know you're tired, you're busy, you've got more work than you can possibly handle. I understand, so I'm gonna give you an incentive. Whoever finds the answer rides with me. Katie needs surgery. You get to do what no interns get to do. Scrub in to assist on an advanced procedure. Dr. Bailey's gonna hand you Katie's char. The clock is ticking fast, people. If we're gonna save Katie's life, we have to do it soon." He left the room, and we all grabbed a manila folder. 

~~~

I leaned against the nurses station, looking over Katie's chart and taking notes, when I heard Alex talking to his nurse again.

"Did you page me?"

"Yes. 4-B's still short of breath. "

"Look, give the antibiotics a chance to work."

"The Antibiotics should have worked by now."

"She's old, she's freaking ancient. She's lucky she's still breathing." I glared at the back of his head. "I got a shot to scrub in downstairs on a patient that wasn't alive during the Civil War. Don't page me again." I walked passed him, falling into step beside Meredith as she left the room.

"Hey." I greeted.

"Hey."  Christina joined us.

"I want in on Shepard's surgery. You've been the intern on Katie since the start. You wanna work together? Delaine can join in too, if she wants. If we find the answer, we have a...thirty-three percent chance of scrubbing in, which better than none."

"I'll work with you guys, but I don't want in on the surgery." Meredith stated. Uh-oh. Trouble in Derekville? "You two can have it."

"Are you kidding? It's the biggest opportunity any intern will ever get. I don't want to spend any more time with Shepard than I have to." She paused. "Wait a minute, your last name is..."

"Shepard? Little sister." 

"Then I don't wanna work with you, I have no chance!"

"Don't worry, I've made him promise not to do me any favors."

"If we wok together, the surgery's yours to fight over, do you want to work together or not?"

"Sure." I said.

"Deal."