Chapter 4: Ballet Preparations

Jhin woke up in his apartment happily on a bright and early morning. It was strange to him, as for the last few months his mornings were filled with sulking, as he was having no progress with his search for becoming the ultimate killer. Today though, he was oddly happy. Perhaps it was because he didn't wake up with a hangover or perhaps it was the pleasant dream he had. Or perhaps, the more obvious reason, was because he had a goal set in his mind that seemed achievable. Today, Jhin was going to help Orianna with the ballet preparations, especially finding a venue for her performance.

"How hard could it be?" Jhin laughed to himself, taking a sip of coffee.

He quickly found out just how hard it was. There were many options for possible venues, but everytime he mentioned that Orianna, everyone would hastily decline. Nobody wanted the notorious robot to dance on there stage, as they were probably fearful she might go on some sort of uncharted killing spree. Jhin checked all over Piltover, but could not find a single person that would let him rent a space. The last person he had to check was Caitlyn, asking if he could use the city hall auditorium, but just as he thought, she denied as well.

"Why won't you let me?" Jhin said angrily. He stared at Caitlyn at her desk, who seemed to be thinking rapidly.

"The City Hall Auditorium does not allow just anyone to use it. It is for announcements, meetings, and performances by the local Performing Arts Center. I'm sorry Mr. Scuderi, but it is unavailable."

Jhin tightened his fists and gritted his teeth, all to stop him from yelling. It was unusual feeling, but it was also unusual for him to be in such a bad mood.

"All Orianna wants is for people to trust her. This ballet will help her become a proud citizen of Piltover, one that might even impress the workforce."

Caitlyn sighed."I understand that. And trust me, it would be nice," she said glancing to the side.

"Please!" he said, now desperate."I've looked everywhere!"

"Have you been to Zaun? I'm sure there are many options for possible venues there."

"That would defeat the purpose of her becoming trustworthy with the people of Piltover," he said.

"I'll make you a deal," she suddenly said with impatience."If you can perform a successful performance in Zaun, then I will try and find you a venue here. Deal?" Caitlyn held out a leather gloved hand to him, eyeing him curiously. Sighing, Jhin shook it, causing a slight grin to appear on her face.

"Break a leg!" she called jokingly as Jhin walked out the door. He fakingly laughed in response, hiding clear annoyance behind his smile.

The trip into Zaun was much more pleasant then Jhin would have that it would be. He had a bitter mindset stepping into a Hydraulic Conveyor. There was a crowd of people in the elevator like shaft, and the scent of muck and body odor made him choke. Even living in Piltover for a few months and breathing in the unnatural air and smoke, made him no less immune to whatever he was breathing in. After he got off the conveyor and into the actual city, he was mildly surprised. The air was thicker, as there was less altitude than Piltover. It smelled worse, but that was something Jhin could forget.

The architecture, the sickly green tinge, the industrialization; it all came together into a strange creative aura. Just like Piltover, new ideas seemed to be floating around the air at all times. The only difference though was that here, these ideas seemed more daring or twisted, seeming to have no boundaries.

He wasted no time though admiring the scene, and went straight for the big theater towards the edge of town. When he got there and told them his plan, the owners seemed thrilled. Orianna seemed more well known here, and in a better way. It seemed as if there hadn't been any productions lately, as if Zaun was starving for entertainment. Once papers were signed and time and dates were agreed on, Orianna's ballet was official. For next week, Jhin and her practiced at the stage, going over every detail.

~

"When the curtain opens I go here," she said, grabbing her foot from behind her and posing elegantly in center stage. Both Jhin and the musician Jhin hired nodded, and she continued.

"The music will pick up and-" she started leaping, picking up pace while still seeming slow. In his head, Jhin kept melodic count with her movements, and saw she transitioned about every 16 beats. After about two sets of what seemed like fast paced leaping, Orianna placed herself back at centered stage. She proceeded to stand on one tiptoe an shift her balance in all sorts of directions. She twisted herself, using her rotating metal body to pose in poses no ordinary human body could do. Her waist did a full 360, then she fluttered her arms down, curtseying as she did, not moving. Slowly, Orianna rose back up and moved around the stage elegantly, her face showing emotion. Jhin wasn't sure if it was fake or not. Then without warning, she twisted fast, spinning back into faster actions.

"Woah woah woah," the pianist said, staring intently at his sheet music. Orianna froze, leaving whatever emotional trance she had behind.

"That transition isn't in my music. The tempo hasn't changed yet, and it doesn't for another 8 measures."

"Oh," Orianna said, biting her lip and thinking about what she should change."Just-"

"Here," Jhin interrupted, taking the sheet music from the musician. Jhin's quick reflexes made the guy jump, as he had forgot Jhin was even in the room. He took out a pen and twirled it in his hands before jotting down the tempo change. He even scratched out a few notes and added some to make it sound smoother. He handed the sheet back to the pianist.

"So like-" he said, starting just before the altered measure. Orianna listened for the change, and a grin came on her face.

"Even better," she said, smiling down at Jhin. He smiled back at her, but turned away confused.

"Am I... connecting with her?" he thought frantically as he pretended to watch her dance moves."How am I connecting with her?" he rethought."I don't relate to her at all, except-" He thought about Orianna and what she wants. She feels misunderstood because people treat her like a monster. There's shame in her, shame she doesn't really deserve."Ah," he sighed."Even though I want to be a monster and she doesn't, we've both have felt misunderstood by people. Treated terribly for doing nothing wrong. Well," he laughed lightly,"maybe that's just her. So am I sympathizing with her?"

The question stayed with him, until it was violently pushed back into his head as Orianna broke his train of thought.

"Jhin!" she called loudly. He turned to her, apologizing quickly."Did you put up posters yesterday?"

"Of course," he said, as if it were a dumb question. He wondered why she would question him about doing a simple task, but then he realized she was acting paranoid. It reminded him of when he would get, and still gets, anxious before a 'show'.

"Everything is alright," he said softer, and she smiled at him again, seeming more relaxed.

"Oh my God I am sympathizing with her," he thought, sighing again. He was helping her plenty, and becoming friends with her was another step of complications that Jhin did not want to go through.

"Let's' just hope the spotlight doesn't the blow a fuse," Jhin added quickly, happy to see the hint of dread coming back onto her face."I mean it's really rustic and the the only spotlight currently working right now."

"There we go," he thought, shaking his head to refresh himself.

"So," he projected, stepping closer to the two of them."Two more days, then showtime!"

"Two more days. Two more days till I get my hands on you Khada."