8- In Which We Have a Conversation with a Monster of Legend

OKAY SO HAHA I KNOW I'VE BEEN OFF FOR AWHILE BUT I WROTE LIKE SO MUCH

I have like...five chapters to post. And yeah some of them are short, but I swear they're good. No more boring expository for this book!
So be warned- some of my A/Ns won't make a lot of sense, because even though I'm posting this all at once, it took me awhile to write all this.

Anyway, where did we leave off?

Right. Herobrine.

Herobrine is way overused as a villain.

GOOD THING I'M NOT USING HIM AS A VILLAIN HAH.

--------------------

"You know who I am, then." Herobrine said softly. I was expecting his voice to be a raspy growl, but it was almost the exact opposite, rich and deep and calming.

Jenni let out a muffled squeak from somewhere behind me, that must have been her panicked version of a 'yes'. Jandro nodded stiffly, keeping a wary eye on the villain and a hand on his sword. I felt frozen, unable to move an inch. He may not have immediately attacked any of us, but that didn't mean we were safe, not by a long shot.

Justin, however, leaned closer to the tall man, looking him over with a curious expression. "I can't say I do..." he replied politely. Jaq made an angry snorting noise. "You don't?! You've never heard ANY stories about him?! Well, someone had a happy childhood."

"I've heard plenty of stories! I just don't remember anything about...whoever he is. I don't recognize him." Justin replied indignantly.

I leaned over to hiss the answer in his ear. "Justin...that is Herobrine. A monster of legend, like 303? We need to get the hell out of here, now."

He looked at me with a faintly baffled expression. "Herobrine? Don't you mean Hero's-Bane?"

"What? Who? No." I objected.

"Yes, she does. I have been known by many names over the years. Herobrine has just become the most well-known. I was called Hero's-Bane in the old years, and many generations later, most dimensions have forgotten that title." Herobrine interrupted. He looked us over with that chilling white-eyed gaze, then continued. "The name does not matter anymore. I am still the being of legend, and people still whisper my stories in fright. Not only am I a legend, I am a slayer of legends. Fighter of gods. Bane of heroes."

"Th-that's very interesting, b-but we r-r-really ought to go now." Jenni babbled nervously, and started to back away. Herobrine frowned worriedly, and held out his hand as though to stop her.

"No, please. I swear I don't want to hurt you. I only wish to help."

"You're evil! How can we trust you?!" Jaq pointed out, waving her sword at him.

"Yes, I am evil. I'm a dark-hearted monster, who's done nothing but kill and destroy. Satisfied?" He relented with a tired sigh. Jenni was still backing away, and Joss looked rather like he wanted to leave as well.

Justin, on the other hand, seemed weirdly unafraid. "Wait, guys. Sure, he's evil, we get it. He can't be worse than 303, right?"

"Exactly. Zelos has terrible plans for you six...and I think I can assist you, at least a little bit." Herobrine said. I lowered my sword, and Jandro did the same. "Why?"

He shrugged. "Because I can. Partially because I'm bored. Because I like seeing my enemies make fools of themselves. And mostly because I don't want to see Zelos back in power."