I Don't Know What I'm Doing but It Seems To Be Working

Pain. Hot, sharp pain lashed across Karkat's spine. The room was dark but every curve and dip of his body was on display. Another strike, and his knees gave out beneath him, wrists tied taut behind his head. Hot blood burned his tortured skin, but Karkat didn't make a sound. He braced himself for another blow, toes curling against the cold pavement. His eyes snapped open, awake. He didn't dare move.

Biting his fist was the only way to stop the scream of terror as he felt something warm around his middle pull him back down.

Karkat looked beside him, seeing the blond eyelashes of his owner lightly resting on freckles cheeks. He wanted to smile. The arm tightened its grip again, filling his chest with warmth. The cold grip of his nightmare slipped away with each breath in time with the boy beside him.

Dave groaned, slipped on his shades, and opened his eyes. He smiled curiously.

"G'morning," Dave said. He had been sleeping well lately, and he was sure Karkat's warm body temperature was the culprit.

"...Good morning, Dave."

It troubled him why this human enjoyed waking up beside him. Although, to be fair, he's had very little exposure to different humans. Karkat scooted closer to the headboard, tucking his knees.

"So, what should we do on this fine October morning?" Dave asked. Karkat didn't say anything, just stared at Dave's chin and occasionally glancing up at the dark outline of his eyes.

"Hmmm, how about we go downstairs? I can make us some breakfast, give you a tour around the house, and then we can just chill up here. Sound good?" Karkat nodded. Dave was just asking for his opinion, and eating sounded pretty nice right about now.

"Cool. Think you're able to make it down the steps?" At this, he shrugged and swung his legs over the bed. He stood up just fine. In fact, he was feeling pretty energetic. A little sore, but good.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he assured as he walked over to the door. Dave swallowed his happy expression, face resting neutrally as he led the way to the kitchen.

Karkat jumped back when he saw all the swords and knives scattered on the table and floor. Catching the empty stare, he felt the hairs on the back of his head go prickly.

Dave turned around to see him slowly backing away. Unsure, he glanced back at the kitchen, eyes widening. "Listen, Karkat, I can explain."

The troll felt his back hit the cold wall. He's trapped. Cursing under his breath, he pinned his ears back and snarled.

"You stay the hell away from me, you sick fuck!" He swiped his claws roughly, very capable of spilling all Dave's organs onto the floor. Still, he stepped closer, earning a real growl this time.

"Did you not hear me? I said stay back!"

"Listen to me, I'm not going to hurt you. Yes, I know the sink is overflowing with knives and stuff, but our kitchen always has those there! They're actually my bro's." Another step and he was in clawing distance, and both of them knew it.

"I don't believe you." His ears flapped.

"You should," Dirk said suddenly, walking in like a troll wasn't about to claw his little brother's eyes out. Karkat jumped, but Dave didn't even flinch.

"Dave here's always had a sore spot for...well, for strays." He twisted open a bottle of orange juice and chugged most of it in record time. Dave glared at him as he finished the rest of the bottle and threw it in the trash. "Careful lil' bro, this one might have to be taken out back."

"Enough," Dave turned his back on Karkat to glare in his brother's direction.

Suddenly, he was right in front of Dave, pressing him into the wall next to Karkat, who jumped out of the way.
He grabbed his face harshly, but said nothing. Dave struggled against his grip, still glaring through his shades, daring Dirk to say it. Say it! Say something!