Karkat

Have you ever had one of those dreams where nothing is happening and suddenly, you start to fall? There's nothing around you, no floor to hit, and yet you still scream the whole way down? What happens when you hit the bottom? Do you die? Or do you just wake up? Wake up. Wake up.

The sun peaked through the edges of the curtains, casting a warm glow on a white, bare wall. Grey eyes squinted, night vision irritated by the light. The ceiling had bright lights too, but they were turned off. Slowly, he raised his head, looking around curiously. The room was small and everything was white except for the black chair in the corner and the thin, blue sheets that did nothing to stop him from shivering. Jegus, it's cold in here. More light bordered the door. His ears twitched, looking for any sound. It was silent. His heartbeat pounded in his ears. What is this place?

  On the counter, there was a piece of paper and a pen beside it. It was rectangular and it said, "Karkat." What could that mean? He tried to lift his hand to pick it up, but he couldn't. Sitting up, panicking, he realized his hand was attached to the bed. He wanted to claw at it, but his other hand was restrained as well. "W-what is this?" He tried to lean down to bite at it, but with his ankles tied down too, he couldn't get his teeth to reach his wrists. Or maybe, if he shifted.. the sharp pinch in his ribs made him whimper and shut his eyes tightly.

  "Help! Someone help me," he cried. No answer. "I don't know where I am! My name is-" he stopped. "No, what's my name?" He looked at the envelope again, the handwriting looked familiar. Where does he know it from? "K-a-r-k-a-t," he said. "Kar-kat. Karkat? That's my name, isn't it? Sounds Alternian. Why can't I remember anything?" His heartbeat was fast, his head throbbing.

The door opened suddenly. He stared widely at the silhouette, which closed the door before he could ask.

  "Calm down, Karkat. Karkat. What do you remember last? Um... I don't- I don't know! Uh, maybe I can start from the beginning..." He closed his eyes, desperately trying to reach any memory he could. "Well, there's me as a grub. I'm a mutant," he grimaced. "For some reason, instead of being culled, Crab Dad took me in. Ok. Am I still on Alternia? Am I in my hive? No, this looks nothing like my hive. How old am I? No, where am I?!"

  The door opened again, revealing a whitish-skinned troll, missing his horns. He had a very thin, sickly looking face. His eyes were dark green, must be a Jade blood. He had a tray of pills and water. "Hope you're happy, you little shit," he said. This troll looked familiar too.

  "You know who I am?" Karkat asked. The man stopped, looking shocked.

  Caliborn scratched his head, after putting the tray down of course. "Right, you don't remember anything. I forgot. Just shut up and drink," he held a paper cup to his lips. Karkat just stared with wide eyes, shaking his head. The movement made him painfully aware of the piercing headache.

  Scowling, Caliborn squished his cheeks, forcing his jaw open, and tilted his head back. Karkat kicked his legs as best he could, but there was no way to stop the pills sliding down his throat. "Barf, and I'll make you lick it up," he muttered, picking up the tray.

  "Wait! Where am I?!" The door was slammed shut behind him, leaving Karkat in the same darkness as before.

  It was quiet again. Panic threatened to engulf him, but there was an aching in his chest that he couldn't ignore. It told him was missing. He opened his mouth to call someone, but forgot the name. Resting his head on the stiff pillow, he whispered, "where are you?"

  Refusing to go back with that poor excuse for a guardian, Dave spent three days at John's house, pretending that nothing was wrong and that it was just like their usual sleepovers. That facade lasted about thirty minutes before John took him aside and made him explain. Dave trusted John with his life, so he told him everything. Well, almost everything.