Chapter 2: Aplastic anemia

Esperanza knew something was wrong. She hadn't felt right since the expedition and she watched with dismay as her own hands became clumsy and dumb. Her head was foggy, but it hadn't been affecting her work until today. She stumbled against the counter, frustrated with herself.

"Blair?" she called as she leaned against the wall.

He came around the counter and hurried to her side.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"I'm dizzy," she admitted. "And yes, I've been drinking water, and yes, I've been taking breaks. I don't know what's wrong."

"What's wrong is your body can't keep up with you anymore," Blair scolded. "If Madison were here, she'd tell you the same thing."

Esperanza could only sigh. She was frustrated with herself, frustrated that she didn't feel capable of things she had no trouble with a week ago.

"I think you and Lully should sit down with Madison and talk about all of this," Blair continued. "And you need to take shorter days, Esperanza. Why don't you go home?"

"Lully knows what happening," Esperanza said in her defense. "He's knows I'm sick. And I don't want to go home; there are things that need doing here."

Blair scoffed. "Does he know how ill you are?"

Esperanza didn't want to bother Lully, not until the vote for captain was complete. Lully was home so late and left for work early. He was doing the work of two people and Esperanza knew that he would want to take off and then feel guilty about not doing so. She understood and didn't want him to be forced to choose. She had already had this argument with Madison, who also thought Lully should know. But Madison had conceded that Lully was too busy for one more thing to worry about and Esperanza knew the moment he realized her anemia had returned, he'd take off work.

Esperanza had never wanted Lully on congress. She knew it would suck him in and she'd never see him again. Lully was too good of a person to stand idly by now that he could change things.

"We can go ahead and set an appointment with Madison the morning after that final vote. Deal? Lully knowing everything isn't going to make me better faster."

Blair nodded and shook Esperanza. "Only if you go home now," he said. "Otherwise, I'm having Lully come to fetch you."

"Fine," Esperanza sighed.

"And I'm talking to Madison about reducing your hours," Blair told her. "Because you're going to burn yourself out."

"Blair..."

"Go on," he told her and pointed at the door in case she had forgotten where it was.

She rolled her eyes and gathered her things to head home. Blair brought her a glass of water before she left.

"This isn't punishment," he said. "We need you here, of course we do. But you took care of me when Victoria was killed and now it's our turn to watch out for you. All right?"

"I understand," Esperanza replied. "Merci beaucoup."

She took the glass and headed home. There was nothing to do there, and of course that was the point, she hated feeling useless.

Esperanza was halfway home when Lully came down the hall in a jog and scooped her up into his arms with a smile.

"Lully! You're not done with your meeting, are you?" she asked, gratefully wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Non, but Blair messaged me so I slipped out to see you home. They're talking about budgets and I'm not needed quite yet for that. No one has given Harper funds yet and he's a little peeved."