The Stranded Selkie

•Qunae 'Ahmar•
Chapter 2

Detention? Went fantastic. In my notebook, I got to doodle all over the different ways people can fall down the stairs. Some drawings starring the famous Yishang.

Though, as angry as she makes me, I'm very interested in her sword. Does her sword yield the power of lightning? Whatever the case, it's what she needed to finish off la llorona. I want to understand what's going on. But based off what she said when I was with the nurse, it doesn't sound like she's going to stick around much longer.

So what do I do? I do what every person does with someone they hate. I stalk her. I absolutely need to understand what is going on. I want to comprehend it all so badly. I never liked mysteries.

Only a few days after la llorona incident, I sit in the library, observing Yashing from afar. I watch her do her homework and read. I suddenly feel someone tap my shoulder and I respond so gracefully with a yelp and proceeding to fall out of my chair. People shush us and demand quiet. I grab where my heart is and look up. "Don't do that."

"When you like somebody, you usually ask them out," the ginger girl says, laughing softly.

My face burns a red ruby color and I say, "I don't like her. Quite the opposite really. She's secretive, Lisa. And there's something I'm dying to know."

"That's called what color are her panties."

"No. It's called why did she transfer here out of nowhere and is suddenly transferring out?" I wonder.

"Probably can't take the heat." She shrugs.

"If only." I muttered.

"Mhm. Behave young lady." Lisa laughs again. I steam and watch her leave while laughing.

"They will never let me live this down," I sigh. I return my gaze to Yishang's table and notice and she has moved. "Eh?!" I exclaim, my head looking around like an owl, rotating a full 360 degrees, to find a trace of the short, black haired girl. I run out of the small school library and see her turn the left corner. I follow her trail as quietly as possible, going against the wall and peaking around the corner, to see her turn again. I tiptoe behind and see her enter a small closet in the wall. I approach the open closet door and suddenly feel a small hand grab my wrist and yank me in. The door closes behind me and I'm pinned against the crusty wall. It's completely dark and one hand holds both my wrists above my head. I feel something cold and sharp against pressing against my neck.

"Why are you following me?" She demands.

My wrists twitch in her small hand and I mumble, "I want to know what's going on."

"Let me put it this way. I don't see you as my equal--in anything. Not in dancing. Not in my abilities. And I do not share secret information with common folk. Like yourself. You are in over your head." Yishang sasses, putting emphasis on the word 'you' as she speaks.

"And what makes you so special? Who died and made you queen of the mountain? Of the hill? Of the anthill?" I retort.

"I don't owe you any explanation. But if you wish to die, be my guest. It'll just be another casualty. I'm sure you can handle more things like la llorona."

I feel an ache. She's right. I have no idea what's going on or understand anything in this new world of information. She does. Yishang somehow knows about all of it.

"Will I ever get a straight answer out of you?" I question.

"Depends on what foolish questions your simple mind forms." She lets go of my wrists and allows me to massage them.