Search Up the Definition of Unreliable and You'll See a Picture of Yishang Xu

•Qunae 'Ahmar•
Chapter 3

"Screw it!" I curse as I run down the dark hallway. I try to catch my breath and race to the staircase. I hear the footsteps after me come closer. I run up the metal stairs, my fingers very softly holding the railing. The only light I can see as my feet carry me up is the moonlight that shines softly through the windows, rain drops shadowing on the wall. I stop for a moment and look down. "Where is Yishang?!" I yell, more to myself than anyone in particular. "I swear if I die, I will come back to haunt her." Then I hear the running footsteps reach the staircase and yelp. I begin to sprint again, my heart pounding, ready to jump out from my rib cage, and my blood pulsing in my head. I soon see another floor and hope its my chance. I run to the doors and try to open it but notice they are locked. "Are you kidding me?!" I try to kick it down but instead feel my aching. I can practically see a cartoon bump sprouting from my leg because of the pain I have of trying to kick open metal doors. Probably not the best idea but hey. I don't want to die. So, logic kind of just dies out on me. I go back to the staircase and keep running up. I have possibly gone through twelve flights to get to where I am now, and will have to run more. Times like this make me wish I cared more about enhancing my running time in gym. I soon see a door all the way to the top and hope it's my hallelujah. I practically crawl to the bluish green metal door and check to see if it's open. I feel relief to see the door is open and quickly go past it. I attempt to close it but have no key to lock it.

Suddenly, I feel drops of water hit my skin and pay attention to where I am. I look out and see the city again. Not through a window. From the roof. The rain only slightly relaxes my adrenaline, still unable to catch my breath. I look around for an exit or a way to go back down. But no luck. "Dam it! Where's Yishang?!" I hear the door open and realize Yishang is late. And possibly won't come here in time. I need to stall. Buy her time. I look up at my chaser by the door. "You don't want to do this. You are so much better." I look at ledges and decide to stay as far as possible from them. That's where everything goes terribly wrong.

But she doesn't budge. "I'm sorry, Qunae. But I want to go home!" She says through tears. Marina holds her pistol at me.

"No really, please. Think this through. Just a while ago you were crying in my room." I say, hoping to get her to listen. But she refuses to give in.

"That was before everything changed." Marina sniffles softly. Her hand quivers as she holds up the gun.

I try not to break eye contact with her. I want to look for cover but know she will panic the moment I do. I put my hands up to show I have no weapons. "Please. I need you to think rationally. You say you are a selkie, right? If your kind could see you, what would they say? You are a sweet girl. Pretty, kind. Don't pull the trigger." I bite my lower lip, knowing this entire plan is a long shot. But hey, at least it's something.

"I'm not a girl! I'm a selkie! And they can't see me. Because my skin was stolen from me." Her hand quivers more and her eyes flood with tears, the only thing allowing me to know they are tears being that she sobs as she cries. The rain hides her real tears but nonetheless, the pain in her eyes throbs like a blade through the heart. In my case? A bullet.

'Yishang. If you don't get your ass here so help me,' I think to myself in a silently angry threat. "Marina!" I shout.

At this point, I'm soaked in the rain. I see lightning strike the sky and hear thunder slowly after reminding me of a sleepy child being asked a question in class by a teacher.

"I'm sorry. But I want to go home." She whispers. Somehow, with her shaky hand, she manages to keep the pistol up at me.

Click.

So silently it happens, I don't even notice the bullet flying at me.

Bang. Crack. Snap. I hear my bones crunch as the bullet hits my shoulder. On impact, I forcibly fall onto the ground and scream. But like I said, everything feels silent to me in that moment. Maybe I can't hear because of the noise of the bullet but whatever the case, I feel the rain slide off my cheeks onto the surface of the roof. I close my eyes, hoping to play along long enough. My hearing soon returns and the first thing I hear is the rain falling. And again, lightning strikes the skies, thunder slacking after. Then I listen to Marina.