Chapter 3

It had been 2 months since I said an emotional good bye to my mother, and although we Skyped regularly, I still missed her terribly.

I was beginning to enjoy teaching English to the students at the Hussaini school in Haiti. Despite the fact that majority of the students have had terrible pasts filled with famine, rape and violence, they too were beginning to enjoy and fully appreciate going to school. Most were staying in dorms provided by the school,  which made it easier for them as they did not have to worry about food or having to walk long distances to get to the school.

I had been staying in a room in the teachers dorm and although we were short staffed, we managed to make the most of what we could.

The headteacher of the school was  Ms Rahman an old, short and stern looking woman however her demeanor was quite sweet and we got along really well.

I woke up at 5, and hopped in to the shower and made wudu before leaving to go to the prayer room. Once I had prayed Fajr I decided to go back up and get properly dressed.

My eyesight had not changed drastically which I was thankful to Allah for. However, I dreaded the day when I could no longer see.

After arriving to my room, I decided on a plain white shirt with a black maxi skirt and finished the outfit off with a gold belt and my watch. The hijab I chose was also black as were my ballet flats.

I made my way to my classroom and set up what I was planning to teach. Majority of the kids I taught knew some or little English and understood some of what I was saying and thankfully picked up activities really quickly.

The bell had not rang yet and I was wiping the white board of the contents of what I had taught yesterday; when I heard voices near the door.

"... and this here is Zara's classroom or she is mainly known as Miss Ahmed." Ms Rahman was showing someone around and out of curiosity, I looked up, to see a man a little older than I was who had a short brown beard. He was quite handsome but I remembered to lower my gaze. Ms Rahman saw this and attempted to introduce us.

"Zara, this is Mr Ali he is the..."

Ms Rahman was interrupted by the man .

"...the new volunteer,  I'll be teaching Maths and you can call me Zayd."

I looked up to see a confused look cross the headteachers face and then the bell rang signaling the start of lessons and saved me from awkwardly replying.

A/N:
Salaams/Hello lovelies and I'm sorry for the short chapter, but I promise to make it up with the next chapter being longer. Hopefully, you're enjoying the book so far and of it's not to much trouble could you please leave character name suggestions in the comments, I would sincerely appreciate it.