Chapter ~ 3

Normally bumping into someone would result in you apologising for moving too recklessly, yet somehow you don't find yourself adhering to this rule when you look up to find yourself in a bizarre situation

Bizarre in the sense where the man facing you dresses in a completely identical manner to the one you were running from. With broad, muscular shoulders, the taller male peers at you with a knowing expression under his mask before you move on mumbling a hasty apology.

Your legs carry you as fast as they can as you feel someone hot on your tail. Unluckily for you, your sprinting fest soon comes to an abrupt halt when another male steps into your pathway blocking your movement.

The shorter man approaches you as you turn to look at the other two behind who follow in suit. When they're close enough to render you surrounded they stop in their tracks.

"No more running y/n" the tallest one speaks with an overwhelming sense of confidence. They know your name, they already know who you are.

With knees that are close to collapsing and lungs that are about to give out on you, you drop to the ground feeling tiredness overwhelming you as you ponder on their thoughts 'you've got nowhere to run' is what their faces show you.

"Yeah" you breathe gingerly, amusement glimmering in your eyes as you stand up once again seeing confusion written across their faces "you're right."

You take a little time to look at your surroundings and think fast, there's a narrow alleyway behind you that leads to a dead end, but all the rooftops are open.

And that's when you grin mockingly as an idea begins to sprawl out at the back of your head. It'll only work if you can manage to get rid of him, you need to clear the shorter man from your path.

Hands held out defencelessly your feet patter slowly towards the small man who lets down his guard momentarily before your foot splinters with his stomach sending him away from you.

Into the alleyway you run for your life, shopping bag in hand as you jump between the walls of the buildings and reach the rooftop with a grateful sigh, your legs almost crack because they're cramping so hard, but you can't give up now.

The edge of the building is nearer than you thought and your feet halt when you hear a voice "you can't keep running" it says as you turn around and spot the man from the mall.

He saunters towards you as the other two catch up and follow. "You don't have anywhere to run", that comment, that's the one that sends your blood pumping, the one that ignites a fire throughout your system.

You don't have anywhere to run, you've never had anywhere to run to, that hasn't stopped you before, and it won't stop you ever again. Smiling wistfully you rotate fully, facing your opponents as a smirk breaks out on your face.

"I don't" you nod confidently "and I never will", that's the last thing either of you hear before your arms cross over your chest and you leap backwards, not looking, not caring what happens.

When your back hits something soft you praise the lord before opening your eyes, the stunt you pulled would've at least broken your back and you thank everything out there that you managed to get lucky enough and land in a mattress van.

The shadows of the three men loom above you before the wheeled contraption pulls you away a "she knew that van was there right?", being questioned before the only sound you can hear is the racket made by the rubber wheels.

Once you reach home you find yourself turning every lock in the house and inspecting every door in the place. You let out a breath you didn't even realise you were holding till now as your back slides down the wall.

"I'll be fine" you chant to yourself before something catches your sight, on the table in front of you sits a glimmering object, something you can't fully see until you kick the wood and it falls at your feet.

Knowing how much effort it might've taken for it to reach you, you clutch onto the pendant only hoping whoever delivered it succeeded in not getting caught doing so.

A long while passes before you retreat to your room, the windows panes painted dark as you rest for the next day.

                                        •••

Annoyed. That's what you physically feel when your sore muscles contract in the morning as you force yourself out of bed, limbs aching whilst you prepare yourself for the day ahead.

Yes, that day. The specific day when you'd have to start attending and living at the university campus. Deciding to go simple you change and brush your hair, swinging on a jacket before you leave and say goodbye to the house.

Your feet move numbly across the streets as you witness numerous things, just the absence of danger lurking around makes you sigh in relief as you ponder over the list of things you're already starting to miss

Although it may not be long there are certain things you should've been more grateful for or could've cherished more. Like your team for example, the people who really cared.

It only consisted of the four of you and only three of you actually knew what was going on. You aren't so keen on this whole thing, you're just a hacker. Someone so trivial as you going rogue seemed unlikely, but now that it's happened you're hoping it's sparked chaos back there so they don't forget.

You want them to remember you, fear your existence, you're waiting, waiting for them to realise that none of this power belongs to them anyways, because it's all yours. It's meant for you.

All you really have to do for now is avoid a certain group of agents who you assume are the ones from the night before, in order to do that however you need to actually identify them because they are a key part of your plan.

Your train of thoughts scatter as your feet edge nearer to the dorm. Pulling out the slightly crumpled paper you navigate your way around and locate the floor your room is on.

Your toes curl with anxiety, a sense of nostalgia washing over you as nausea sits at the bottom of your stomach, threatening to release itself as you step forward and knock your fist against the door.

And that's it ladies and gentlemen, that's when you've finally reached the brink of insanity and you're wishing for a hole to crawl back into. The blonde haired male who opens the door just stares back at you as you continue to mentally curse yourself.

The lips on his ethereal face curve up and create a gentle yet sly smile as he extends his hand and you internally panic.

"Nice to finally meet you I'm-"