VII

MIAMI Evenings

|7|

_ _ _

_ _ _

"SOPHIA LET ME EXPLAIN." Elijah followed behind her as she made her way into the closet.

"Elijah." She blew out a breath of exhaustion. "I just want to be alone right now, okay? You can't expect for me to find something like this out and then want to talk about it immediately after. I just need some time."

"It's not even like that." He ran his hands down his face frustrated because she wasn't trying to hear what he had to say.

"Not like what?" Sophia snapped her neck in his direction. "Not like what Elijah?! You have a kid...no you have two!"

"Okay, but I didn't know. When I left I knew that she was pregnant but I didn't know that it was twins. I didn't even know whether or not she decided to keep them. We were young Sophia. A lot was going on."

"That's not an excuse." She spoke as tears stammered down her cheeks. "You still knew that it was a possibility of you having kids with her and you never spoke up about it. You spoke on everything else but that so how am I supposed to feel or even think?"

"So what does this mean? You don't want to marry me anymore because I have kids?"

"No. Elijah you know I'm not that type of female. It's not that...It's the fact that you were okay with leaving her knowing she was pregnant. It's been almost five years, how old are those babies now, four? I just feel so bad being with a man who had no problem raising our child but couldn't step up to raise his other two. It's just all too much for me to handle." She continued to pull out clothes from the racks as she spoke. "So that's why I don't want to marry you. Or at least that's why I feel we need some time apart. Plus you're still in love with her and that much is obvious."

Elijah frowned his face up and mugged her. "I'm what? Man you buggin' out, I don't love that girl."

"Then why is her face on your back? If you don't love her then why do you have a sketchbook full of drawings of her?"