Chapter 9

You stepped out of the shower, toweling off your hair. You brushed your (Y/C) hair before toweling off your body and dressing in your pajamas. You stood, looking in the mirror, at the large purple bruise along your neck. You gulped painfully. Why had he spared you?

  “Why me?” You whispered, putting your hands on either side of the sink. He had ruthlessly murdered everyone in the building, but he left you alive. Maybe in his own twisted way he did love you.. Or maybe he was trying to manipulate you into trusting him. You threw your towel into the closet and opened the bathroom door, your eyes widening as the Joker covered your mouth with his hand, pushing you farther into the bathroom. He was wearing a purple suit with a yellow under shirt.

  “Don't scream, okay?”

  “Mm hmm.” Was your reply. He uncovered your mouth, raising his hands up in surrender.

  “I'm sorry.” He said quickly.

  “Sorry? Sorry!... You killed at least fifty men and women. With families and kids!” You exclaimed angrily.

  “It wasn't me…. I did strangled you, but I didn't kill anyone.. I swear.” Joker promised, biting his lower lip in thought. You narrowed your eyes.

  “What do you mean?” You snapped.

  “I mean I was framed… I escaped, yes, but I knew if I killed a bunch of innocent people you'd never forgive me.” He explained, putting a hand on his hip.

  “And you expect me to believe you?” You asked, your eyes still narrowed. The Joker got down on his knees.

  “I swear on everything that makes me crazy I did not kill those people.” He promised, clasping his hands. You thought for a minute before nodding.

  “Tell me what happened, from the beginning.” You demanded softly. The Joker nodded, standing up.

  “I had just… Knocked you unconscious and the two guards came in.. I knocked the first one out quickly, but the other was faster. We fought, and he managed to slam me against the wall hard enough to make me stumble. I heard two gunshots and the guard went down.. After that I ran out…” The Joker explained, his eyes staring into space in the left corner of the room. You nodded once more.

  “I believe you… Because no guards had guns.. I have to go back and check the cameras.. See who really pulled the trigger..”

  “I want to go with you.” Joker spoke up. You shook your head, standing up and taking a step toward him.

  “The whole GCPD is out looking for you… It’s best you stay here.”

  “Fine, but…. I don’t like it.” The Joker grumbled, his usual wide smile returning.

  “I’ll be fine… I overheard the officer driving me home talking about how they were moving all the prisoners to Blackgate until they can regain control and recapture the escapees…” You relayed, smirking.

  “And?” The Joker asked curiously, his eyebrow raising in curiosity.

  “Aaaand.” You started, drawing out the A.

  “I can tell them I want to grab my things from my office….” You continued.

  “What does-?”

  “My office is near the surveillance room. I’ll be able to sneak in there and see what really happened.” You finished proudly. The Joker nodded and took a step forward. You inwardly cringed, tensing up. The Joker hesitated before he turned back around, walking out of the bathroom. You slowly followed him, walking to your closet. You pulled down a thick blanket and a small pillow.

  “You can sleep next to my bed.” You explain, moving to your bed. You pulled out an extra mattress, laying down the blanket and pillow. The Joker nodded though he looked puzzled. You grabbed your box from on top of the mattress, placing it in the closet. He laid down on the mattress as you climbed into bed. You clicked off the lamp, turning away from his side.

  “Why did you try to kill me?” You asked. He shuffled in his bed.

  “Because if I couldn't have you… I didn't want anyone else to.” Joker responded without hesitation.

  “You almost killed me you son of a bitch. Give me one good reason why I shouldn't turn you in.” You growled. At that point everything in your body was screaming that you'd made another terrible mistake.

  “I'm… Sorry…” He whispered. You clenched your teeth.

  “You ever hurt me again… And I will kill you.” You warned.