May 4th, 2010

May 4th, 2010 (Age: 12)

"Killua, stop dodging," a boy with spiky green tinted hair whined out as he tried to tag the evading pale child.

A crackle exited the others mouth as he continued to avoid the others attempts. "The point of the game is to not get tagged, Gon."

Another whine and another attempt followed after Killua spoke. The two continued to run and dance all through the forest, narrowly avoiding be clipped on the head by low-hanging branches, or tripping over roots that emerged from the earth.

Time seemed to pass without meaning when the two boys were together. It was them against the world like it had always been, but there was something, an underlying dilemma that one didn't know, and the other didn't want to address.

Some time dragged on, Gon finally stopping his attempts in order to take a breath. His back heaved as bent over and stared at the ground.

"Tired already?" Killua chimed taking one step closer but keeping a good distance incase Gon decided to spring a surprise attack on him.

He only received a nod in response, Gon stood up straight, a pout coating his face. "You should really let me tag you at least once, especially since it's my birthday tomorrow."

"That doesn't make any sense," Killua sighed, eyebrows frowning slightly.

"It does so,"

Shaking his head, Killua sat down on the ground, Gon following only a second behind. "Besides, where's the fun in letting you win easily. If I don't try hard, it's not a challenge."

"Suppose you're right." The two boys made eye contact before they both laughed a little bit. The only sound throughout the whole forest was their laughter, chiming through the air like a bell.

After they finished laughing, Killua looked westward, seeing the sun beginning to touch the horizon, coating the ocean with a vibrant hue of oranges, pinks, and flecks of blue. His face softened noticeable, ocean blue eyes saddening slightly.

Inhaling deeply, he turned to Gon and smiled. "You should get going back. Mito'll get pissed if you're not back soon."

Gon didn't respond, he just continued to stare at Killua. Killua could see the flashing determination through his eyes. They continued to stare at each other, the sun drifting deeper into the sea.

"Why can't you come to my birthday?"

Knowing Gon was bound at as the question again, he had tried to come up with an answer. But it always rounded back to the thing he knew would hurt Gon.

"I just can't. As much as I'd want to, I can't.

"Killua," Gon whispered, scooting closer. Killua felt the need to shuffle away, but he pushed it away. "We're best friends. That means we can tell each other anything."

Taking a deep breath, Killua looked up at the sky, as if the answer was up amongst the clouds. It was hard to admit things like this and he didn't want to hurt Gon, his only friend. COnflicted feelings battled in his head, but he knew the truth would come out either way.

In a way, his answer was up int he clouds.

"I'm not real,"

  __________________________________________________ 

I'm not real.

That was the problem KIllua never wanted Gon to know, never wanted him to have to face.