May 5th, 2014

May 5th, 2014 (Age: 17)

That morning Killua and Gon woke up— in reality, Killua had been up all night, but that was normal as he didn't need to sleep. When they first looked at each other, they didn't say anything about how Killua would eventually be gone and out of Gon's life by the end of the day.

They merely smiled and Gon stumbled out of bed and made his way down the stairs at a turtle-like pace as if it would make time move slower. And once he rounded the corner, Mito stood there with a wide smile and began to inquire about what he would like to eat, to which he responded— without missing a beat— waffles.

Watching this all unfold from his spot leaning against the wall, he snickered at Gon's quick response, which earned a look from Gon out of the corner of his eye and a small smile sent in his direction. His heart flared up at this little action, as it always did with the small looks Gon would send him when his family was around his family.

He continued to watch as Gon and his family interacted. He often did this, watching Gon just do his thing. It was nice to see Gon so happy, and that's all KIllua really wanted, for Gon to be happy.

"We're concerned for the boy's health. Being attached to a figment for such an extended period of time is virtually unheard of, and we don't know what the effects could be."

That's what the council had told him; that's the only reason they gave for forcing him to separate with Gon. He had pushed and begged for them to understand what they were doing and that, by forcibly ripping himself away from Gon, it could have a worse effect.

"Then we shall wait and see the effects from afar and evaluate. We'll discuss this further once you leave."

He had been so angry, so angry that once he had left, he attempted to punch the trunk of a tree, but, naturally, he passed right through. He swore he could feel the heat that was racing through his body, that he could feel the tears that in any other situation if he was anyone else, would be hot and sticky against his cheeks.

Never had he hated himself more than that minute, and he hated that what they said, despite how much he didn't want to believe it, was true. It was the truth, almost as much as he was a lie.

Shaking himself out of his thoughts, he directed his attention towards Gon, whose bright laugh raced through the air, making the looming tension seem as if it never existed.

As long as Gon is happy, everything is fine.

——————————-

Gon wasn't happy. How could he be? The waffles covered in syrup that he shoved into his mouth didn't change the fact that his best friend, the only person that ever really understood him, that ever really tried, would be taken away from him in a matter of hours.

How could he be happy?

But he tried to make it out that he was happy. He smiled at Mito's comments and responded with the amount of vigor he would in a normal conversation, but he couldn't help but glance over at Killua ever so often.

The white-haired male was staring off into space, his eyes glazed over and nose pinched in concentration. Gon was the only one that knew what that face meant; probably the only person that knew anything about Killua, in fact. He knew that Killua loved video games, despite not being able to play them, bit his lip whenever he was nervous, he had a laugh that sounded like a windshield wiper, very breathy and out of tune, but it was the most beautifully ugly sounded Gon ever had the chance to let his ears hear. When Killua really smiled, it was soft, small, almost unnoticeable, but after some time, he closed his eyes and cover the blush on his face, because he didn't want to break the tough persona he clung onto, but Gon knew.