item four - ii

"Niagara?"

"Yep," Eden confirms, tapping her fingernails on the tile countertop. Harry runs his tongue over his lips and eyes her curiously.

"That's quite a drive. Why Niagara?"

She shrugs. "Personal reasons, I guess."

He seems to understand that she doesn't want to divulge more and pauses for a beat, pursing his lips in thought.

"I'm Harry," he finally says, holding out his hand for her to shake, which she does. His skin is soft and warm but she can feel several calluses on his fingertips and palm.

"Eden," she grins.

Harry's eyebrows raise. "Eden?" he repeats. She nods, trying to keep from melting on the spot. Her name sounds incredible rolling off his tongue. "I like that, it's interesting."

"Not as interesting as a British man in Georgia," she responds coolly.

"Fair enough," Harry concedes.

A little flutter erupts in Eden's stomach. This interaction is going surprisingly well and she wonders how much further she can take the conversation.

Follow the list, she thinks. Be brave.

"Would you like to sit down with me?" she asks, feeling another flush rise in her cheeks. "In a booth?"

Harry mulls this over before shrugging. "Why not?" He flashes her a wry smirk and Eden slides off the stool, barely able to contain her smile. They sit opposite one another in a nearby booth just as Missy reappears, holding two plates in her hands.

She halts behind the counter, confused upon finding it empty, but then Eden waves and catches Missy's attention. Her jaw immediately tightens and her expression hardens to a strained one as she notices Harry now sitting with Eden. She hastily rounds the corner, feet stepping fast as she walks.

"Turkey club and skirt steak tacos, here you go," she says brusquely, setting down their plates and stalking back into the kitchen.

"No pet names this time?" Harry asks rhetorically with a laugh. Eden digs in to her sandwich, disregarding all conversation for the time being.

"How is it?" he questions after a minute of silence.

Eden rolls her eyes and lets out a grunt of pleasure. "Amazing. Heavenly. Like I haven't eaten in years."

Harry snorts in amusement. "Likely an exaggeration."

"Just a little, yeah," Eden says with a giggle. She sets down the remaining half of her sandwich, deciding she should refrain from channeling her inner ravenous wolf, and hastily wipes her mouth with a napkin. "How's yours?"

"Ethereal," Harry replies. "Who knew tacos this late would taste so good?"

Before Eden can reply, Missy dances over and bats her long eyelashes at Harry. "How is everything?"

"Great," Eden answers.

"Fantastic," Harry hums. His dimples reappear as he speaks and Eden feels her eyes glaze over fleetingly.

"Wonderful," Missy chirps, her gaze falling on Eden for a split second. "I don't wanna rush y'all but how are y'all planning on paying this evenin'?"

"Separate," Eden says hastily.

"Together," Harry answers at the same time. He winks at Eden, who's watching him with raised eyebrows. "Thank you, Missy."

The waitress leaves and Eden folds her hands in her lap demurely. Harry notices her downcast eyes and leans in curiously toward her.

"Everything alright?"

"You didn't need to do that," Eden responds faintly. "I feel bad, taking your money."

"Don't feel bad," he scoffs. "It's just my way to repay you for keeping me company."

An outlandish thought crosses Eden's mind as he says this; one that would otherwise never come to her if she were not already miles from home on a ridiculous journey. "There's actually something better you can do to repay me," she suggests lightly, her eyes darting back up to meet his again.

Harry's eyes widen infinitesimally. "That sounds vaguely suggestive."

"What, no!" Eden sputters, throwing up her hands in innocence. "Nothing like that."

Nonetheless, she doesn't miss the playful gleam in his eyes. Her cheeks once more sizzle and she prays her face isn't turning red.

"I just need a place to sleep tonight."

~~

i'm not sure what to put here but i appreciate the patience with the playlist update. tell me your thoughts so far!

hmm. would you trust a stranger enough to sleep in the same room as them?? weird question i know, humor me