item six - iii

*settle in, this is a long part :D*

"The Hills" turns out to be a massive country club nestled in the middle of . . . well, hills, located in the countryside far outside of Fayetteville. Eden gazes dreamily out the window, eyes catching sight of rolling fields and the occasionally farmhouse. Her mind wanders to the families that occupy each cozy space; mothers, fathers, daughters, and sons, enclosed by the safety of whitewashed wood walls and picket fences with wildflowers growing between the spaces in the wood. Eden wants a farmhouse and all the serenity that accompanies such beautiful, natural solitude.

Granted, solitude isn't uncommon for her. She's felt alone most of her life. But she craves the elusive peace that exits within the overbearing loneliness. She's yet to find it.

The top of the country club could be spotted from well down the road as Harry drives along a long driveway leading to a set ornate front gates. A sign advertising the wedding reception points to a parking lot on the right side of the building; as Harry parks and Eden steps out of the car, she has to squint into the sunlight to admire the exterior up close. The walls are pristine white and decorated with a myriad of bright florals and striking green vines. There's a fountain in the front driveway and a pair of extravagant double doors leading into the main foyer.

Harry releases a low whistle and shoves his hands into his pockets. "Talk about trust fund money," he mumbles. "This place looks like a palace."

Eden clutches her purse close to her stomach, fighting a strange mixture of nerves and excitement. "I'm suddenly feeling a bit . . . apprehensive about this," she admits quietly, glancing over at Harry.

He merely shakes his head. "We made it through the wedding, people saw us there. We'll have no problem getting in."

Eden nods quietly, trying to tell herself this is what she wanted - after all, it is what she wanted. She just didn't think the reception would be such a grand ordeal.

Behind them, a pair of tires crunch over the gravel before rolling into a parking spot. She hears a pair of car doors slam and turns to see Paul and Hannah approaching with enthusiastic smiles.

"Hey, strangers," Paul calls cheerily. "Glad to see you found the place."

"How could we not?" Eden jokes, finding her voice. "This place is huge."

"Wait until you see the interior," Hannah grins, taking her husband's hand as they lead Harry and Eden inside.

Nothing Hannah could've told Eden would've prepared her for the magnificent ballroom where the reception was happening. The foyer itself is elegantly decorated and leads directly to a large ballroom, where the reception seems to already be in full swing. There are dozens of large circular tables placed periodically around the expansive room, each one adorned with place settings and expensive looking decorations. At the front of the room is a DJ table and small stage set up; next to the stage is a long table meant to host the bridal party. Bright lights illuminate the entire room, giving it an immaculate finish.

Paul and Hannah become preoccupied speaking to another couple already inside the ballroom. Eden reaches out and nervously grips Harry's elbow, only to have him gently reach over and pry her hand off.

"Now who's the one who can't handle weddings," he laughs, keeping his warm hand wrapped around hers. His thumb reassuringly strokes her skin, and she flashes him a nervous nod.

"I'm brave," she tells him, though it's mostly for her benefit. "I'm brave, I can handle this crowd."

"Exactly," Harry beams. "You're brave."