item five - ii

Eden grimaces at the questionable items before her; a clump of rice draped with a small white piece of food, likely the squid.

"I'm beginning to rethink this item," she says truthfully, her eyes meeting Harry's.

"What about bravery?" he smirks. "Brave Eden would eat that and not even think about it."

Brave Eden, she thinks. "I can't wait until 'Brave Eden' is just my normal persona," she mutters. Under Harry's watchful eye, she picks up a piece of sushi and pops it into her mouth without a second thought.

The taste is . . . intriguing. Tender, sweet, not too overpowering - but the texture of squid on her tongue is less than enjoyable. She shudders as it drops down her throat and she's left with the odd aftertaste.

"So?" Harry questions casually.

Eden smacks her lips, trying to rid herself of the lingering taste in her mouth. "Not bad, can't say I regret it. But I'm not sure I'm in a rush to do that again anytime soon."

"May I?" he asks, gesturing to the remaining food on her plate.

"Please." Harry reaches over, plucks up the last piece, and scarfs it down without any sign of hesitation. Not long after, Eden orders a bacon burger to rinse the fishy sensation from her nostrils.

"Can I ask you something?" she inquires, figuring she should prompt a conversation while waiting for her food. Harry takes a sip of his water and indicates for her to continue.

"Why are you in the States? Is it work, vacation, visiting family . . . what's the story?"

"I doubt my exploits are half as charming or interesting as yours," he says with a smile. "Tell me more about what you are doing."

His voice is so smooth and his answer so evenly calculated that Eden barely notices he's completely avoided the simplest of questions.

She gives an insouciant shrug. "I'm not sure what else there is to say. I'm going to drive to Niagara and hopefully complete my list while doing so."

"What's in Niagara?" Something about her destination continually seems to bring out a keen side of Harry that Eden can't quite understand.

"I guess I'll find out when I get there," she surmises.

"What happens once you finish your list?"

"That's a good question," Eden admits, chewing pensively on her thumbnail. "I haven't thought that far ahead yet. I was just so desperate to get started that I didn't think about what happens when I'm done."

I'm hoping I won't feel quite as lost anymore.

"Don't fret," Harry says comfortingly, seeing through her answer and sensing her doubt. "You'll figure it out."

Eden smiles warmly. "I appreciate your interest," she tells him. "It's reassuring."

"Well I have to admit this is the most captivating thing I've heard in a long time," he grins, his eyes never leaving hers as she picks up her water glass to take a drink. "And if you'll allow it, I should quite like to join you on your journey."

~~
Hmm, what's a good question to ask here...if you could pick a roadtrip partner, who would it be and why?

also d a m n his jawline could cut through diamonds