the drive - i

These words cause Eden to choke on the mouthful of water she's just taken; she coughs, sputters for air, and spits her drink back into the glass while Harry watches on, amused at her reaction.

"What?!" she cries.

"You heard me," he simpers.

"You're not serious, are you?" Eden says, gaping dubiously at him.

Harry, much to her disbelief, appears very serious. "I am."

Eden looks away, pursing her lips in concentration as she contemplates the sudden turn in her situation. Of every outcome, of everything he could've said, she never expected to hear that. She turns back and eyes him sternly, searching for any hint of humor or indecision. She sees neither.

"Have you thought out what you're saying?" she questions. "What you'd be doing?"

"Have you?" he echoes, raising an eyebrow.

"Y-yes!" she stammers out defiantly.

A thinly-veiled lie; she has no real rhyme or reason to her plans. And she knows that Harry somehow knows she's lying.

Suddenly the waiter appears, holding her bacon burger in one hand. He places her plate on the table and murmurs something cordial before sauntering away. Eden rubs her temples in frustration.

"What about your car?" she says, trying to come up with any excuse to dissuade Harry from joining her.

"It's a rental."

"What about going back to England?"

"I wasn't completely sold on doing that anyhow."

"Madness, Harry, this is madness," she whispers fervently. "I can't ask you to go with me."

"You aren't asking, I am," he replies. He leans in and places a consoling hand on top of hers, picking up on her evident vexation. "What is your real concern about me going?"

Eden doesn't answer right away. She can't find the words to.

"Is it because we just met?" he presses gently. "Because I can understand why that would be off-putting. But I feel you should know that I am already rather at ease with you and I'm not worried about leaving at all." A small, reassuring smile dances on his lips.

Eden shakes her head faintly and takes a reprieve to arrange her words delicately. "It isn't that. I am . . . hesitant because . . . you're right. I haven't thought this through - any of it. I quit a job I'd had for two years and left my hometown without really telling anyone and I don't see how it's fair to drag you in on this hopeless quest for I-don't-know-what. What if things between you and I go sour? I would feel horrid if either of us ended up stranded somewhere because of me."

Harry cocks his head to one side as he hears her out; Eden wonders if that's his cue that he's invested and listening.

"You do make some valid points," he concedes. "However, I believe that if you and I were to butt heads severely, I would already have an indication of it, which I do not. Besides, I'm in a similar situation here; ambling rather aimlessly around the country, which is why I'd even considered going home in the first place. I think this journey, which is not hopeless by the way, could be as meaningful for me as it is to you."

Eden can't deny how well-spoken his answer is. "Fair enough," she says quietly.

"In any case," he continues, a small grin appearing on his lips, "I would be remiss to let you go off alone at this point. It's a matter of safety," he beams.

"Oh, is it now?" Eden challenges teasingly.

"Indeed."

"Okay," she sighs, still somewhat reluctant. "If you are decided, then yes, I would love the company."

Harry's smile grows in elation. "Fantastic. I just need to get my things."

When their plates are cleared and the check is paid, they return to Harry's hotel and Eden helps him pack up his things and put them in her trunk. She tails him to the car rental company and waits patiently in her vehicle while he returns his keys.

"Right," he states as he opens her passenger door and slides into the seat. "All my ties to Georgia are now severed." He then sends her a quick wink. "Except you, of course."

"Nope," Eden chuckles, shaking her head as they exit the rental lot. "I'm from Florida."

"I stand corrected."

Eden laughs breathily and switches on the radio for background noise; the volume is low but she hums along to the Hozier song playing.

"So where are we going first?" Harry asks.

"Well, normally it'd be about a sixteen hour drive from here to Niagara," Eden says. "But I promised myself I would take the scenic route so I hope you don't mind it taking us longer to get there."

"Your list, your rules," Harry concedes.

Eden checks the dashboard clock. "So right now it's just after twelve, so I suppose we could drive for a bit and see where we end up. Deal?"

"Sounds good to me."

Following the I-95 North, they drive continuously for four hours until they pass through Florence, South Carolina. It seems to be very much a traveler's town; the main road is crowded with hotels and restaurants and bars, all beckoning for patrons to enter.

"Do you mind if we stop?" Harry asks, his eyes locked on a passing rest stop sign. "Nature calls."

"Of course," Eden laughs breathily. "I wanna get some snacks anyhow."

She parks at a nearby gas station advertising public restrooms. Harry doesn't wait for the engine to stop before he's out of the car and jogging inside to the bathroom. Eden meanders inside and absently wanders the small aisles, torn between chips and candy.

Harry emerges soon, his face awash with relief. "Thank you," he says breathlessly as he joins her.

"Better?" Eden asks.

"Much. Have you found your snacks yet?"

"I can't decide if I want candy or chips," she laments, chewing on her thumbnail in great concentration.

Harry wrinkles his nose and glances around. "I don't see anywhere to buy chips," he comments.

Eden turns to look at him in confusion. "Are you daft? They're right here," she says slowly.

"Those are crisps," he says pointedly.

Eden rolls her eyes. "Well in the States, where we are now, they're called chips. You're thinking of fries." She snatches up a large bag of barbecue chips and dances away.

"Wait, buy me some," Harry begs with a fake pout.

"Call them what they are!"

"Crisps."

Cheeky shit. Eden steps backwards so she's closer to the front register, where the cashier couldn't have been more oblivious of their light-hearted exchange. Eden flashes Harry a devious smile.

He groans dramatically but relents. "Will you please buy me some American chips?"

Eden furrows her brow to keep from bursting into laughter. "Close enough. Which ones do you want?"

Harry tosses her a bag of sour cream and onion chips and absently putters around the front display while she pays.

"See, now was that so difficult?" she teases as they walk back to the car.

"Extremely. Give me my crisps, please," he laughs.

~~
i love this scene ok

how's everyone's weekend going so far?? i'm at the AMNH in new york!