Ch 49: Common Knowledge

Red POV:

The pack grounds were void of their normal volume and laughter.

My chest grew heavier as a few of them spared me a glance as I briskly walked through the center of the main village to where Zander resides, knocking on the door softly.

I could feel my own pulse fluttering beneath my skin.

The door opened revealing an agitated male, "It Is not time yet what- Red?"

I did not bother saying any sort of hello or offering an explanation of my arrival, instead I began prodding at him, my fingers skimming his bared skin looking for injury, "you are unharmed."

He was silent for a very long moment, "you heard?"

"A recruit was bragging about harming a wold near the south wall this morn."

"And you were worried about me, I should have thought to send message to you little Red, I am sorry."

I huffed, cheeks puffing, "I was not worried. If you were hurt by that fool you would certainly be unworthy of me."

He didnt smile or quip something back at me as per usual.

It was then I noticed how tired he looked, "are you well Zander?"

"I lost a pack member last night Red. While I was locked in my chambers alone I felt the link sever and could not even fetch his body myself. He was barely an adult wolf and taken so cruelly. The Guardsman who killed him was not clean with his kill as many of you are. the link broke slowly, it was utter agony."

I stood staring up at him, unsure what to do or say for a long moment, "it truly hurts you when they die?"

He nodded stiffly.

Slowly I stepped into the house, closing the door behind me with my foot as I wrapped my arms around his waist, my head resting on his chest.

His own arms wrapped around me, holding me closer as he took in a deep breath, "you cannot possibly know what comfort it is to have you here, like this, right now Red."

"I do not generally comfort."

Lifting me into his arms he nuzzled my neck, "it makes it all the sweeter little one. But I have a funeral to prepare for, allow me to stay like this just a while longer. Before leaving you for a bit."

Hesitantly I ran a hand through his hair, "would you like to reschedule our dinner?"

Zander's reply was quick, "no."

"Are you certain? I have plenty of pretty dresses, I can just wear a different one next time on a leas heavy day."

"No. There is nothing I would want more today than to dine with you. I will be back after the funeral. If you would like to visit the child she is in Isadoras cabin."

I hesitated as he put me down, "would you like company...to this funeral?"

He just sort of paused and looked at me for a very long moment.

His gaze upon my form grew Uncomfortable, "you would do that for me?"

I hummed, "perhaps I am just fascinated by your rituals."

His lip quirked up, "I would love to have you there with me."

Nodding I held out my hand, "very well, you may escort me then."

His smile was just a little wider.

My treacherous cheeks warmed slightly.

~~