Chapter 10

A dark sky hangs over the pickup truck ominously, but there are very few things in the world that can dampen my mood right now. The street signs flash past; my hand on the gear shift, her hand on mine. I must admit I feel kind of cool right now - driving with only one hand on the wheel and a girl next to me.

Arden is in the passenger seat, glancing my way every so often. "What's mulling around in that head of yours?" She gives my hand a gentle squeeze.

I'm thinking about my meeting with Nicole, and how it couldn't have been scheduled for a worse time. Just when something happened between Arden and I, I have to go meet the ghost of middle school past. But what's really going through my head is all the bad feelings that can come up, everything Nicole knows about me. "Wouldn't you like to know," I tease.

"I'm really sorry I had to cut the afternoon short, I'm supposed to meet someone after school. Since we skipped out early I sort of forgot," I admitted, seeing her face fall when I said 'meet someone'. "It's not a date," I add quickly.

She looks relieved. "It's all good, I really enjoyed our time together."

I smile at that and try not to think about the fact that we'll have to face the music tomorrow at school. Matthew will want revenge... again.

Just as we pull into her street, Arden becomes unsettled, "You can just drop me off here, I'll walk the rest of the way."

"Are you sure? It's no trouble to drop you off at your door, it's so close," I answer, stopping the truck anyway. I turn in my seat to face her.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Thanks, I had the best day," she smiles at me.

"Sure, no problem. Thanks for standing up for me, you really saved me back there," I flash a quick smile before my face softens, my free hand on her jaw for my thumb to glide over the stretched skin of her split bottom lip. "What will you tell your parents?"

"I don't know," she answers, leaning her head into my hand. "I could say it was an ice skating accident."

"So you're going to tell them you went ice skating in that?" I joke, looking her summery outfit up and down.

"I could have," she shrugs, her big doe eyes playful.

"In Orlando?"

She seems to reconsider.

"In the middle of spring?"

Now I've won.

"Okay fine," she sighs. "I'll think of something better. See you tomorrow?" She asks, a hopeful tone to her voice.

"Text me."

"You know I will," and with that and a wave she hops out of the truck, arms wrapped around her body. I watch her walk down to her house a block away to make sure she gets home okay, and she turns back to smile at me a few times.

Once she's inside, I can't help but wonder if she made me park her so I don't hear the screaming again.

* * *

My phone buzzes as I park in front of the bakery. I slide out of the car and smile wide when I see it's from Arden. 

Had a great time today x

15: 32

I answer almost immediately, forgetting that you're supposed to 'be cool'. Honestly, if you think about it, it's good if someone texts or calls immediately. Play no games.

So did I!

15:33