Never Leave Me

By imaginewalkingdead on Tumblr

“Hey, Y/N! I need to ask you a favor.” Heath said.

“Alright, what’s up?” Y/N asked.

“Carl’s supposed to be coming on the run with us today but he’s sick. We need a replacement. You in?” Daryl’s heart clenched at the question. Today was the day he was finally going to tell Y/N that he loved her. Daryl worried so much about how Y/N would react to him being in love with her, that he tried holding it off as long as possible. Now, Daryl worried that his time was running out. He had to tell her.

“Yeah, sure! I’ll go get dressed real quick.”

In 10 minutes, Y/N redressed herself in a long sleeved shirt and long pants. Even though it was extremely hot outside, she preferred to cover herself as much as possible incase she came in contact with a zombie. Daryl loved her for that.

“I think this run should only last a day and a half at the most. Is it alright if I go?” Y/N asked Daryl, even though she knew the answer.

“Yeah, sure. I need to talk to you about something first-”

“Actually, we’re about to leave. Save it for when we get back so we’ll have something to talk about,” Y/N giggled, “see you later, babe.”

The sentence lingered in the air, something obviously missing. Y/N wanted to tell Daryl so badly that she loved him. But, she feared rejection. She feared that Daryl wouldn’t love her back and that she’d make a complete idiot of herself. So, she decided she wouldn’t tell Daryl she loved him unless he said it back.

“Uh, alright. See you later.” Daryl planted a kiss on Y/N’s lips before she ran off to the truck with Heath. 

*

Hours had passed and all Daryl did was lay around and think of his situation. He hated himself for not sharing his true feelings with Y/N. And, while he thought these things, he had this bad feeling inside of him that something was going to go wrong. Not long after, he heard yelling outside.

“Someone get the doctor!” Daryl heard from outside. Curious, he ran out to see what was going on. That’s when he saw the love of his life being carried by Heath to Dr. Carson’s office.

“What the hell happened?” Daryl yelled, running up to Heath who had just walked into the office’s door. Y/N’s body looked completely lifeless, making Daryl’s body rack with sobs. That’s when he noticed the blood seeping out of Y/N’s arm.

“I shot her. It was an accident, I-I was trying to shoot the walker on top of her but missed.” Daryl’s eyes narrowed at Heath as he lowered Y/N onto the gurney.

“Are you kidding me?” Daryl lunged for Heath, taking a hold of his shirt collar and slamming him to the ground. Luckily, Rick had just walked in and was able to pull Daryl off of Heath. He took Heath outside to get away from Daryl and took talk to him about the situation.

Once Daryl calmed himself down, he walked over to Y/N and stared at her seemingly-lifeless body that Doctor Carson was working on.

“She’s dead, isn’t she?” Tears streamed down Daryl’s face when he thought of trying to make it in this world without her.

“No, not just yet. She has lost a lot of blood, Daryl. But I think she will be okay if I can stitch her back up in time. I just need you to be patient. Why don’t you go home and wait until I come and get you when I fix her up?” Stress was apparent in the Doctor’s voice.

“There’s no way in hell I’m gonna leave her here. I’m staying, Doc.” Carson sighed, but still allowed Daryl to stay as long as he promised not to bug him.

Daryl sat in an empty chair near Y/N’s bed, drowning in his own thoughts. 

What happens if Y/N doesn‘t make it?

Will life even be worth living anymore?

What will be the best way to murder Heath?

Then, the most important part came to mind:

What if I never get to tell her I love her?

His heart ached at the question. All this time, Daryl had the opportunity to tell Y/N he loved her but he was too scared. Now here she was, barely surviving without knowing Daryl’s true feelings.

Carol walked into the room after hearing what had happened, knowing that Daryl would need her in a time like this. They had been through everything together.

“Daryl, I just heard. I’m so sorry.” Carol said, trying to comfort Daryl with a hug.

“I don’t know what I’d do without her.” He looked back over to Y/N and saw that Carson was finishing up with the operation.

“You love her, don’t you?” Carol said, knowingly. Daryl nodded.

“I love her more than anyone else in this world. I can’t lose her, Carol.”

“Well then, I think you should tell her as soon as she wakes up.”

Before Daryl could reply, Doctor Carson spoke up. “I’m done with the operation. She should wake up soon. If you want, I can leave the room and let you have a minute with her?” Daryl nodded, anxious to be alone with his love.

“I’ll go too. If you need anything then let me know, okay Daryl?” Carol chimed in. He nodded once again, thanking them before they headed out the door. Daryl walked up to the side of Y/N’s bed, grabbing her hand and gently rubbing her fingers.

“You scared the shit out of me, you know that?” He spoke up, even though he knew she couldn’t reply. A moment later, he spoke up again.

“I can’t make it without you, Y/N,” Daryl’s eyes swelled with tears as he shared his true feelings with his girlfriend, “I love you. God, I love you. You’re the only reason I’m still here. Please don’t leave me. I know I’m shitty and too much of a wimp to share how I feel with you. I won’t be like that anymore, I swear. Please wake up, I need you.” He gripped her hand a little tighter as his emotions came over him.

Little did Daryl know, Y/N could hear everything he was saying, she just couldn’t open her eyes yet. Using all of here might, she tried to squeeze Daryl’s hand. It was only a faint twitch she could give off, but Daryl felt it.

“Y/N, you there? Please wake up! I love you!” He exclaimed, his heart fluttering knowing she would wake up. She was alive.

After mustering up all the strength she could, Y/N’s eyes slowly fluttered open.

“Daryl?” Her voice croaked out, making Daryl smile wide as the tears kept flowing.

“I’m right here, baby girl.”

A tiny smile showed on her face. “I love you too.”