Unspoken Words

By imaginestoinfinity on Tumblr

“Got everything we need?” Daryl asked, standing guard as I filled the pack with as much supplies as I could salvage. I swept over the warehouse once more with my flashlight.

“Yeah, we’re good” I replied, zipping up and tossing the bag over my shoulder. We walked back to Daryl’s motorcycle and hopped on. I wrapped my arms around his waist as he sped off, zooming past a small group of walkers. 

I rested my forehead on his back, taking a sigh of relief. Everything went well. Looking back up, I saw his hair flowing in the wind, a smile creeping on my face and my heartbeat speeding up a bit. I had always liked Daryl, but I’d been able to keep it under wraps while we were working. I couldn’t risk something happening on a run because I was too distracted. But here I was, holding onto him, resting on his back and gazing at those biceps.

We made it back to Alexandria and were let in by Sasha. Some original Alexandrian’s took our weapons. I turned around to congratulate Daryl on a perfect run when I saw him walking away with Sasha. I raised an eyebrow and looked back at the tower, nearly screaming in fright as Eugene crept up behind me.

“It’s my shift now” he said monotonously. I sighed and nodded, turning my attention back to Daryl.

“Why are you staring at him” he asked, sounding more like a statement than a question.

“I was gunna tell him something” I replied, rolling my shoulder as I gripped the straps of the pack.

“Well he’s right over there” Eugene said, pointing straight at him. I smacked his hand down quickly to avoid attention.

“We saw a few people on the road coming back. Make sure they didn’t follow us back” I lied, turning on my heel to bring the supplies back to Denise. As I did, I saw Daryl and Sasha laughing. I hung my head and walked to Denise’s office.

It was clear that Daryl didn’t reciprocate my feelings for him. He didn’t even know I liked him as much as I did. He wasn’t one to show emotion, which is what made my heart sink when I saw him and Sasha together, smiling and laughing. We were work partners for months now and I’ve never seen him even chuckle.

We didn’t have any runs for the next few days, so I kept to myself. I avoided Daryl at all costs, afraid I’d let even the tiniest hint of emotion slip. I stayed in my house alone most of the time, occasionally going out to the woods for target practice. One day on my way home I saw Daryl, sitting on his stoop. I looked away and crossed the street, hoping he wouldn’t see me…

“(Y/N)” he called. I turned my head and waved, picking up the pace. Just one more block…

“(Y/N)” he called again. I heard his boots hitting the pavement, the sound growing nearer until I felt him grab my shoulder. I turned around to look at him. He as sweaty, as usual, wearing his beloved angel wing vest and a cigarette hanging from his lips.

“Hey,” I replied, trying to sound normal, “what’s up?”

“Where ya been? Haven’t seen ya in days” he said, taking one last drag of his cigarette and putting it out.

“I’ve just been busy” I replied, trying to give a slight smile.

“No one’s seen ya since the run” he responded. My smile faded and I nodded.

“Yeah I just… haven’t been feeling well” I confessed.

“What, are ya sick or somethin’?” he asked. 

“No, it’s not like that” I said. I took a breath and looked him in the eyes. There was a hint of worry in them, something I never thought he’d be capable of feeling.

“What’s wrong?” he asked. I bit my lip. I couldn’t tell him. I shook my head and turned to walk away when he grabbed my hand.

“Please don’t do that” I nearly whispered. He let go and walked around to face me.

“Why not?”

“Because it means something completely different to me than it does to you” I said. He furrowed his brow in confusion, but his expression was replaced by one of surprise.

“You…”

“Don’t worry, I’ll get over it” I said, walking past him. I made it to the curb before he caught up.

“What?” I asked, turning around. Daryl just stood there awkwardly, fidgeting and fiddling his fingers, his gaze switching from me to the pavement. He took a deep breath and slowly looked up at me.

“Don’t” he said lowly. Don’t get over it.

I stood there, paralyzed in shock. Daryl likes me? I shook my head and felt him come closer to me. I closed my eyes and felt his forehead touch mine, nuzzling our noses, and finally lightly pressed a kiss to my lips– soft, almost like he was scared to do it. We pulled apart slowly and stared at each other.

“Run tomorrow?” he asked quietly. I chuckled lightly and nodded. He looked down, and when he looked back up at me, a soft smile played at his lips. Finally, I thought.

“See ya” he said, walking backwards. I nodded.

“See ya”.