Three Little Words

By imaginestoinfinity on Tumblr

“Daryl, can you pass my water bottle?” I asked as I packed my bag. He tossed the bottle over the table and I placed it in the side pocket for easy access on the road. I secured the gun holster on my thigh before putting the pack on my bag and standing upright, facing the man in front of me. He leaned against the doorway, arms crossed, munching on an apple.

“Don’t know how long I’ll be out, but I should be home by tomorrow latest” I said, adjusting the shoulder straps. I took a step closer to him and wrapped my arms around his waist as he wrapped a muscular arm around my shoulders.

“Still don’t want me to come?” He asked in his gruff voice.

“Nah, I’ll be fine. Plus, I’ll be with Glenn and Michonne, no biggie” I replied. He sighed and placed his hand on the back of my neck, pulling me in to give me a kiss on the forehead.

“Be careful, alright?” he said. 

I nodded. “I love you” I said, standing on my toes, awaiting a kiss. Instead he hugged me. My heart sank a bit; after all this time with Daryl, he still couldn’t say those three little words. I kissed his cheek and left our cell to meet Michonne and Glenn at the gates in a rush. I didn’t want Daryl to see me flustered over something so insignificant– even though it meant so much to me.

Of course, a simple supply run could never be just simple.

On the road back, another group followed and nearly ran us off the road for our supplies. Michonne was able to keep us from turning over as Glenn and I shot at them from the back seat. The car came to a stop and we got out, guns still pointed at the other group’s vehicle, and inched closer. The driver seemed knocked out over the wheel, and the passenger had a bullet in his chest.

“All clear” I called, lowering my gun to put it away. Suddenly, someone jumped out of the backseat, and two gunshots rang out. The third person fell to the ground, and a pain shot through my lower abdomen. It didn’t register to me what happened until Glenn was in front of me, eyes wide and holding me up.

“(Y/N), (Y/N) stay with us. Come on’“ he exclaimed frantically. I looked down to see a spot of blood expanding on my shirt. Breathing became a hard task, and I began to feel drowsy.

“Michonne! Help me get her in the car, we need to get her to Hershel” Glenn called out, his voice seeming farther and farther away with every word.

And then there was darkness.

Daryl’s P.O.V

I made my way to the gate to relieve Maggie and start my watch when a car came blazing down the road. I readied my gun and aimed through the gate when I recognized the car. It was (Y/N).

Something was wrong.

Glenn’s head stuck out the window and he began shouting “Open the gate!”. I ran and began opening just in time for them to drive right in. Michonne stopped the car and opened up the back door, revealing Glenn in a bloody shirt and– (Y/N) passed out in the back seat.

“What happened?” I asked, nearly diving in the car and pulled her out. She was bleeding from her stomach, and was pale, her lips starting to turn blue.

“Someone followed us, nearly drove us off the ro- GET HERSCHEL- they drove us off the road. Someone jumped out and shot her” Glenn rambled, pushing through the crowd that had now formed as I carried her to the med bay. She was growing weaker in my arms by the second. I couldn’t lose her. No, not her.

We reached the med bay and Herschel had a cot prepared. I laid her down, hands shaking. Maggie rushed in with some supplies, and Herschel instructed her on something, but I couldn’t focus on anything but (Y/N).

“Daryl!” someone called.I was spun around by Maggie, her eyes wide. “You need to step out so we can work on her”.

“I- I ain’t leaving her” I protested.

“Daryl, we’ll take care of her. I promise” she said, squeezing my arm. I looked back down at (Y/N), tears welling in my eyes. I should have gone with her. I couldn’t lose her.

“Save her” I said. Maggie nodded and rushed me out, slamming the door closed behind me. I slammed my fists on the door frame, and only then did I see the blood on my hands. I hung my head and let out a small sob.

Save her. Save her. Please.

Y/N P.O.V

I felt myself lifted out of my sleep slowly, and a light made me squeeze my eyes shut. The echoes around me told me that I was in the basement… Why? I tried to take a breath, and a pain shot through my side, making me wince.

“(Y/N)?” a familiar gruff voice said. I felt a warmth next to me, and a rough hand rest on mine.

“Daryl?” I asked, my voice weak and hoarse.

“Yeah, yeah it’s me” he replied, squeezing my hand. I heard a sniffle… was he crying?

“What… happened?” I asked, my eyes fluttering open. I blinked a few times to clear my vision, and I saw him: teary eyed and red-nosed.

“You uh, you got shot out on the run… you lost a lot of blood but yer okay now” he said, ending with a sniffle. I nodded, remembering the incident, and the pain in my side.

“How long have I been out?” I asked, attempting to sit up, to no avail.

“Three days” he said. My eyes widened.

“I should have gone out with you. I could have been there-”

“Daryl, there’s nothing anyone could have done. It just happened” I said, cutting him off.

“Naw, I could have…” he trailed off.

“What? You could have taken the bullet for me?” I asked jokingly. He looked up at me and nodded. I shook my head.

“No. I wouldn’t let you” I said.

“I would… (Y/N)” he said softly, moving his hands to cup my face, “I love you”.

I froze in place. My heart nearly skipped a beat. I love you. He finally said it.

“I know it’s taken me a while to admit it but, I nearly lost you. I don’t want that to ever happen again. I need you to know that. I love you”. I smiled softly, a single tear sliding down my cheek.

“I love you too Daryl” I replied in almost a whisper, pulling him close and kissing him deeply. He rested his forehead on mine for a moment.

“From now on, I’m doing the runs. No exceptions” he said. I chuckled softly, wincing at the pain it caused.

“They’re all yours, Dixon”