Can I Join You in the Shower?

"Sawyer, are you sure you're old enough to carry a jug of water by yourself?" Faith slammed the pickup truck door shut and went to help her little brother.

"No! Let me do it. I'm a grown-up."

"Almost a grown up," she reminded him.

Sawyer followed her into the house, water jug in his arms.

"Good job, Sawyer. That was the last water jug. We desperately need running water. I can't do this anymore." They had gone to the river to collect drinking water. After Jax set the well on fire, a mixture of ash and soot still came out of the faucet, making it undrinkable. The long, tedious process of collecting water every few days was exhausting.

Faith slumped against the kitchen wall but jumped in alert when Sawyer reached for a bottle of wine on the kitchen table. "No, Sawyer! Stay away from that."

"Why? You drink it."

"I only drank a small cup because we had no water last night, and I was dying of thirst."

"But Jesus drank wine."

Faith couldn't help but snicker at the remark. "Jesus isn't a six year old."

"I'm not six. I'm a grown up. Jax gave me some yesterday."

"He did what? Jax gave you alcohol?"

"Yes, in my sippy cup."

No freakin' way.

Faith unscrewed the cap of his sippy cup and tasted it. "Oh my God. This is wine! I'm going to strangle him! What was he thinking giving a six year old alcohol? This is watered down but still...This is all my fault!" She immediately felt guilty. Yes, she had resorted to drinking alcohol a few times after they ran out of water, and she was too exhausted to make the trip to town or to the river. It was only natural her little brother would imitate what he saw sooner or later.

She vowed never to drink again.

"Gimme! I'm thirsty too!" Sawyer tried to snatch the sippy cup out of her hands.

"Sawyer, chill! I'm going to boil a pot of water to make it safe to drink, then make you some Kool-Aid, OK?"

God, please, I need the basics such as water!

The wish necklace suddenly came to mind. She had one wish left, and it was tempting to wish for clean running water. Perhaps she should but...eventually, things would get fixed. She was saving the money to call a plumber little by little and hated to waste her wish on something so basic.

Faith finished making Sawyer Kool-Aid, then headed upstairs to lay down.

From the bathroom, the shower could be heard.

"Jax must be home," she said to herself.

A moment later, the bathroom door swung open.

And a seven foot, dripping wet, naked--except for a towel around his waist--angel stood directly in front of her.

"Lock! You scared the crap out of me! I nearly ran into you." She was both thrilled and startled at the same time.

"Sorry. I hope you don't mind me using your shower," he smiled innocently. "I would've hosed myself off outside in the yard, but it's too cold."

"No, I don't mind. And the towel around your waist is practically falling off, by the way."

He looked down and scratched his head as if just noticing. "Yeah, anything made for a human never fits right."