Chapter 9

A Doctor's Cure

Sang

The smell of coffee blends assaulted my nose as I entered my bedroom. I padded over to my bed, setting my bookbag down where I spotted the corner of a paper peeking out from under my pillow and I pulled out the note.

The spot.

I held it tightly in my hand, my heart leaped with excitement. I tossed it into the top drawer of my nightstand before I rushed out of my room.

I ran down the stairs and practically skipped to the door. I pulled it open, halting my step. A young man with sandy blond curls stood before me wearing a white doctor's coat over a blue polo shirt with a white tie and khaki pants and loafers that appeared to be Gucci. He had a heart-shaped face and the slightest stubble across his jaw. He blinked and his smile widened. My smile faltered.

"Hi," he said. His voice was deep but held a tone of gentleness, his green eyes matching the kindness he seemed to give off. "Is John Sorenson home?"

"Um," my cheeks warmed. I looked back to see Wil approaching us from the kitchen. He shot me a curious look before turning to address the supposed doctor. He looked a little young to be a doctor, 18 or 19, but his coat and the medical bag he carried made me assume he was a doctor.

"Good afternoon, you must be Dr. Green," Wil addressed politely, saving me from having to speak. "Mr. Sorenson should be out in a moment. Please, come in."

Dr. Green smiled at Wil and nodded. "Thank you."

I stepped back to allow him in. As he walked past me I caught his inviting scent of ginger cedar and citrus.

My father appeared from behind the staircase where his office was. His tired eyes fell on Dr. Green. "You're the doctor?" he questioned. "John Sorenson," he stuck his hand out.

The doctor had his back to me so I couldn't identify his expression but his posture stiffened and he cleared his throat as he took my father's hand to shake it. "Dr. Green," he replied. "I'm here to see Mrs. Sorenson."

My mother had been ill for the past few years. My father didn't tell us what she had but with the constant visits from doctors, I couldn't help but worry about her health.

My father nodded, he paused when he finally noticed my presence. "Sang?" I blushed when all three turned their attention to me. Dr. Green stared at me with wide eyes and his mouth formed a large 'o' shape. "Why are you standing there?"

The question caught me off guard. I had forgotten what I was doing before opening the door to the handsome doctor.

I didn't plan to sneak off, I only wanted to save myself from being interrogated. I suppose now I needed to tell him. "I...I was...going to the beach."

"Now?" he asked, his brow raising. "Don't you have homework?"

"I do," I answered quickly. I clutched the hem of my skirt with my fingers, pondering my next words, choosing what I knew would get me to leave quicker. "I just wanted to get some air before starting."

I felt Dr. Green's eyes on me the entire time. From the corner of my eye, I saw Wil shaking his head. I fidgeted under my father's questioning stare. "Don't take too long," he turned to Dr. Green. "My wife is in our bedroom."

Dr. Green turned back to my father. "Of course, lead the way," he shot me a quick glance before following him up the stairs.

I turned to leave but Wil stepped in front of the door, blocking my exit. "Sang," the warning clear in his voice.