Chapter 16

Date Night

Sang

The drive to my parent's estate was extremely awkward. Neither of us said a word but the feeling of Mr. Blackbourne wanting to tell me something lingered in the air.

I sat completely straight to avoid my damp hair and clothes from touching his leather seat. I watched the palm trees and familiar shops as we passed them. Mr. Blackbourne seemed to drive a hair under the speed limit. I wondered if he was doing it on purpose or if he normally drove this slow.

"Miss Sorenson," I turned my attention to him.

My hands were clenched around the material of my skirt until I realized I was squeezing out some of the water. "Yes?" I slowly eased my fingers from my skirt.

His eyes were on the road, his face completely still. I wasn't sure if he even said anything at all.

"How much do you know about your father's business?" he finally asked.

My lips tilted into a small frown."What everyone else knows, I guess," I said, I turned to face forward. "He doesn't really talk about it with me."

"Does your mother take part in the business?"

I shifted, these questions felt slightly intrusive. My father's company wasn't exactly a family business. Was I even supposed to know about any of it? And from what I noticed, my mother didn't take part in any kind of work.

Mr. Blackbourne sent me a side glance, a quiet sigh escaped his lips. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to make you uncomfortable."

I shook my head quickly. "It's fine. I mean... you don't make me uncomfortable."

His hands loosened on the steering wheel. I didn't notice he was holding it so tightly. "Do you plan to join the company or is there something else you have in mind?"

"You mean, careerwise?" I asked, uncertainly.

He nodded slowly.

I returned my gaze to the window as we neared the estate. The thought of having to say goodbye to him was disappointing. I wondered if the next time we see each other it would be under more normal circumstances.

"I'm not sure what I want," I admitted, quietly. "There's a lot that I like, it's hard to choose. I've been leaning towards medicine lately," I shook my head. "But, I'm not sure, yet."

"You're still young," I turned back to see his shoulders relaxed. "You have time to figure out what you want."

I nodded in agreement. I tried not to stare but I wondered how old he was, he looked a little young for someone who supposedly owned a business. Though, he did say it was new.

"However," he continued. "If you would like, I can help you find something that could interest you."

My heart leaped. He barely knows me, why would he do that? I silenced my thoughts when a light ink of pink appeared on his cheeks. He sent me another side glance. My own cheeks warmed and I offered him a smile. I would like that.

My father took Mr. Blackbourne to his office when we arrived. He didn't even question my soaked appearance. I was dismissed to my room before I could say bye to Mr. Blackbourne.

♥♠♥♠

I opened my window to allow Marc inside. When he stepped into my room I almost didn't recognize him. He wore a suit that looked a little small on him, his hair neatly brushed back, and his feet were in what looked like freshly new dress shoes. I didn't recognize the brand. He looked handsome but with the way he adjusted and readjusted his tie, it was obvious he wasn't comfortable.