Chapter 24

Meeting the Toma Team

Sang

Marc's deep chuckle filled my ears as he started the car. "Coffee Bean, relax will you?" My hands instantly stopped fidgeting in my lap. "You'd think I'm taking you to your death."

His playful tone soothed my nerves a little but I still couldn't help the worry bubbling up.

After Marc told me about his friends wanting to meet me, I stayed up all night thinking of how this would go. I was starting to regret agreeing to it so quickly. Would they like me, would I like them? Would they think I'm good enough for Marc? I worried they'd see something in me that told them I wasn't.

Marc reached over and took my hand as he drove off, effectively pulling me from my thoughts.

"Sorry," I said quietly.

He flashed me a smile. "I promise you'll be fine." But even the confidence in his voice wasn't enough to contain my worries.

I stared down at our hands. I wanted to be excited about being out with Marc again but the anxiety was eating me up. I wanted to suggest we go back to my house, that I'll lock the door and we could cuddle for the rest of the evening.

I preferred that idea a lot better.

Marc squinted his eyes and pulled down the visor to block the sun, it was just before sunset so it was shining brightly at us. With one hand he pointed at the glovebox and glanced at me quickly. "I think I have sunglasses in there. Check for me," he ordered.

I nodded my head and pushed the button to make it open. I looked for something that resembled sunglasses. I paused, seeing what was inside. On top of the neat stack of papers and envelopes was a gun, a small first-aid kit, and what I assumed was a sunglasses case. Beside it was a pack of open cigarettes and two cigars wrapped in plastic packaging.

I reached in to take out the case and opened it, seeing a pair of black Ray-ban sunglasses. Marc presented his open palm to me and took the glasses when I placed them in his hand.

"Thanks," he said as he used one hand to put them one.

I glanced at the contents in the glove box, unsure of which item to ask about. I knew my father owned guns and I assumed most of South Carolina did too. I wasn't surprised that Marc had one or two.

"You smoke?" the question left my lips before I could stop it. I attempted to hide my blush by busying myself with closing the glovebox and putting the case in one of the cupholders.

When he didn't answer, I glanced over at Marc who pursed his lips as he kept his eyes on the road. The sight of his handsome face with sunglasses had my heart skipping a beat. "When I'm overly stressed," he confessed quietly. "I try not to."

I supposed that explained why I never smelled it on him. I also didn't see him much. If he smoked it was probably on those days, assuming they were days he was very stressed.

"I know it's bad for me," he said as if he'd been told this many times. "But it helps and it's a lot better than the shit I used to take. I avoid it if I don't need it"

I twisted one of the buttons from my skirt between my fingers and I turned to look out. I wasn't sure how I felt about it but I felt like it wasn't my place to say anything.

There was a lot I still didn't know about Marc.

But I didn't have a right to ask when I kept things from him, too.

♥♠♥♠

     Marc took my hand as soon as I got out of the truck. I observed the apartment complex as he lead me inside. I eyed the rundown neighborhood wondering what my mother would say if she knew I was in a place like this.