Prologue

The sun was setting as young Edward and Alphonse Elric got ready to transmute their beloved mother.
"Water 35L, Carbon 20kg, Ammonia 4L ...."
"Alright. Let's draw the transmutation circle now."
Edward took a chalk and sketched out the circle.
"Now all that's left is information about the soul."
The boys held up a knife and sliced their finger, letting blood drip onto a small cauldron in the centre of the circle.
"You ready brother?"
"Yeah."
"Then let's get mother back."
The brothers clapped their hands together and slammed them on the floor, focusing their energy on the transmutation circle. The circle glowed a light blue and then small black hands oozed from the edges.
"Brother, I think something is wrong."
A line appeared, splitting the circle into two and opened up into a giant eye. More of the small black hands emerged from around it and slowly made their way to Alphonse, grabbing his arms and legs.
"Alphonse!"
"Brother!"
Edward made a grab for Alphonse's hand but the hands curled around his leg and yanked him back. No... I can't let it end like this, thought Edward, I can't let my brother be stolen from me too! He reached out for his brother but it was too late as Alphonse's body was disappearing in front of his eyes.
"Alphonse!"
"Brother..."
"ALPHONSE!"
Alphonse's hand and face chipped away like old paint as Edward watched in utter disbelief. However that sadness did not last long because soon Edward's leg started disappearing too. He screamed in agony as a rush of pain shot through his body.
"It wasn't supposed to be like this... mum... Alphonse.... somebody... help me!"

Edward woke up in a never ending room of white. Behind him was a large door with detailed engravings on it. In front of him was the shadow of a boy around the same age as he was.
"Where am I? Who are you?"
"I am what you would call the World, All, One, God, the Truth and... you."
Edward gasped and took a step back in shock and horror.
"As for where you are, you are everywhere yet nowhere. Behind you is the gate of truth, also what you seek. Now, you may take a small step into the truth."
Edward began to refuse and question the shadow more when he was thrown through blackness. Light appeared in front of him and pictures of his mother whizzed past him, pushing themselves into his brain.
"ARGHHH! Stop! Please! My head is about to explode!"
Then the shadow of Edward's mother appeared in front of him, holding out a hand for him to take. He cautiously reached out, hoping it wasn't an illusion. Just as their hands were about to touch, his mother started to fade.
"No! Mother!"
Edward started to run towards his mother but soon the scenery changed and he was back in the white room with the shadow of himself.
"So? How was it?"
"I was so close... I was so close to the truth of human transmutation! Take me back there! Let me find it!"
"Nope. No can do. That's all I can show you for the toll you have paid."
"Toll? What toll?"
Suddenly, Edward's leg began chipping away just like when Alphonse disappeared, rebuilding itself as the shadow's new leg. Strangely, it did not hurt at all.
"Thank you for the company but unfortunately, you must take your leave now. Farewell young alchemist."
The strange world faded and Edward found himself back in the basement of his house. Incredible pain seared though him but all that mattered now was the fact that he had to get Alphonse back.
"No... give me my bother back... I will give you my arm, my heart, my soul! Anything to get my brother back."
He drew a alchemy circle on a set of armour that had collapsed sometime when he and his brother were performing the transmutation spell with an odd 's' sign in the middle with his blood. Then clapped his hands together and attached Alphonse's soul to that suit of armour.