I. How Many More Times?

'How many more times, treat me the way you wanna do

treat me the way you wanna do...'

Molly's P.O.V.

Here we were, starting a new life once again. My mother, who insisted on doing this, was driving us to our new apartment in Tennessee. I was not impressed, to say the least.

All my mom knew was that we were going to be living in a decently quiet town, and that we had quite a few opportunities for work. It didn't fix any of my problems, but it made me mother so happy and relieved of her burdens.

I couldn't help loathing the woman who brought me into this world. How could have I been so shitty in the mother lottery? Who are the ones who get cool mothers?

Everything started when my mom was convinced that my father was cheating on her. How did she know? Well, let's just say she had a 'hunch'.

That hunch was actually a spy, who was indeed my little brother. My mom had devised a plan to send him to my father's job with my father's lunch. Every day, she would give the brown bag containing yesterday's leftovers to my brother, Evan.

He would then find my father in the factory he worked in, and Evan would report any suspicious activity to mother...for a price, of course.

My mother paid Evan in candy, and sometimes, with an allowance boost. I remember being furious when I learned my little brother had raised enough money to buy an Xbox!

Everything boils down to the fact that my mother is a neurotic paranoid person. She hates having to be in a big crowd, and she trusts almost no one. When my parents split, Evan blamed my mother for everything. He wanted nothing to do with her, and that's when he decided to live with my dad.

I obviously had to stay with my mentally unstable mother, and since then, I haven't seen my father or brother in over a decade.

My mother finds other men, but they always figure out how crazy she is. Recently, she had been seeing a therapist. They were the ones who suggested she move out of state, henceforth us being on our way to the new apartment.

As I glanced outside the window once more, I realized we were coming to a duplex. It was painfully stucco, and it looked like a generic building. I sighed as the car stopped.

'Honey, this will really good for us,' my mother started but she noticed me rolling my eyes.

'Really, it will! I promise you! I want to be that fun, cool mom that watches her baby grow up,'

I could only think of the worst scenarios that could come out of this. I really should have moved in with my dad when I had the chance when I turned thirteen. Why I denied a chance like that, will always be a mystery to me.

The duplex had small stone steps heading up to the main door, and there was a screen door. The main, light blue door was underneath that one, and my mom found the key in the mailbox.

As she tried her best to find the lock in the dark, I started gathering boxes and such from the back of the van.

'Molly, I've opened the door!' she shouted from the inside of the duplex.

Inside was a little nicer. There were two master bedrooms, one guest room, one and a half bathrooms, a giant den and a reasonably sized kitchen. I guess my mom found a really great location for a good price, seeing as I felt like we were now in the middle of nowhere.

My room was a dark violet color, and the floor was a hardwood that matched the walls. It seemed to suit my personality very well. I couldn't help but be excited about the balcony.

It would be nice to smoke in peace without my mother hovering over me, and of course trying to bum cigarettes off of me. My mother won't bother using any of her disability money on any expenses, and she always expects me to provide for her.

Maybe this place wasn't so bad after all. I mean, who knows? Maybe my mother could find love.

Because there was no way in hell I was going to!

After spending the night trying to get settled in, I woke up moderately early to try and find a job. After scrubbing down in a scalding shower, I started my morning routine of hair and makeup. My mother was awake, and rolling a few cigarettes. As per the norm, the percolator was running non-stop until way past noon.

It wasn't long until I deemed myself suitable for a job interview, and I felt much better. My mom, on the other hand, hadn't changed out of her pajamas. It was frustrating to see her fall back into her bad habits, but she assured me she had a job interview scheduled tomorrow with her therapist.

On the way out, I grabbed my cassette Walkman and my green leather jacket. It was mid-fall, but it seemed to be rather warm here even so. Walking to town wasn't far, and I was pretty grateful for that.

It dawned on me that it really was a small town here, and that maybe finding a job wasn't going to be super easy. I was a little intimidated by the prospect of not finding suitable work to provide for me and my crazy ass mother.

After all, it's every little girl's dream to become the matriarch of the household before she's even sixteen. My mother will never understand what a burden she is, because I'll never have the heart to tell her to leave.

I walk into the Value Stop, and I notice there's a sign on the door saying 'Now Hiring'. As I enter, I notice a few of the employees turning to look at me. I ask the woman at the counter if there's a manager present.

'Sure, just gimme a second, hon.' she then pressed a button on the intercom.

'Mr. Roper to the front! Mr. Roper to the front please!' her voice sounds scratchy and tinny from the intercom. Suddenly, I can feel myself become nervous.

From inside my 'The Ramones' bag, I managed to pull out a resume. It was little dog-eared, but other than that, it looked fine. I had lots of experience in a lot of different jobs, so this wouldn't really be all that bad.

That's when I noticed an older man in front of me. I assumed it was Mr. Roper, the manager, and I handed him my resume.

'Good morning, sir. I would like to apply for the position available,' I said in my best professional voice.

'Oh, sugar, you can apply to be my--' the man was interrupted by a strict looking man in a tie.

'Ash! Get back to work!' the man who I was now understanding was Mr. Roper was shouting at the other man, 'sorry, can I help you, miss?' his attention was finally on me.

'Hello, sir. I'm Molly Babylon. I'd like to apply for a job here,' this is the part where I extend my hand for a handshake. The man took my hand and shook it.

I knew I was getting the job already, but the other man who I first spoke to really had me intrigued. He was definitely an employee, judging by his uniform.

As my interview went well, and after a brief orientation session, I was to begin my training with Pablo tomorrow. I was soon introduced to my trainer, but the man from earlier was with him too.

'And of course,' Mr. Roper then sighed, 'this is Ash Williams. He has seniority around here, so he can assist you with problems you may encounter.'

'Oh you know it, baby. I can assist you with anything,' Ash winked at me.

I smirked at him, and I suddenly realized how amazingly handsome he was...

...I just hoped my mother wouldn't dig her claws into him.