*2*

>$Tom's P.O.V, Present$<

I walked steadily past the office door, the blank pages my hands held nearly slipping out of my grasp. Matt had offered me a small, cozy office in the building, which already lacked in size. He let me know, when I arrived, that I could use the peacetime to fix up my work space and get used to my surroundings. 

"Don't be too quick on your feet," Matt remarked beside me, resting a hand on my shoulder. "We don't need a show-off."

I turned my gaze to him, slowing my pace. "What do you mean, 'show-off '?" I asked. 

"I mean someone who wastes their precious energy just to get somewhere on time. Of course, I understand you're in a rush... but work smarter, not harder, why don't you..." He replied calmly. Nodding slowly, I stuck to his rhythmic footsteps on the tile floor. 

"So what is this job like?" I queried, the thought been taunting me all morning, just waiting to be spoken. Matt kept his focused gaze on the floor as we stopped, allowing me to steady my heartbeat. 

Matt shook his head, perhaps shoving away some unwanted memories. "It's simpler than you'd expect. There are-- were people here who would individually handle the field cases, while others would stay behind and do paperwork and sorts. However... since you and I are the only ones up for the job, we'll have to manage with both." He explained, smiling to me. 

"We..? I thought you were... y'know, the boss. Doesn't do any work, hangs back while his employees do everything... that sort of thing." I stated, feeling a little on the edge, as if I'd taken a drastic wrong turn. I'd never worked for someone so personal. 

The ginger simply laughed it off though, my shoulders relaxing as he did so. "No, no, not at all! Here, we are just one big family... a-at least, we were." His smile quickly morphed to a solemn expression, his whole self looking as it had been swept away by a wave of grief. 

"Oh.." I began, unsure of how to respond. "What happened to them all?"

"An old rival of ours sent spies to steal our information. Basically we fought... and somehow, every single one of my friends died... and I was the only one left, as if a warning. When I get my hands on their leader; oh, he's got it coming!" Matt recalled, raising his fists defensively at no one in particular.

I gave him an amused glance, as I pondered a single thought. "So... is that what you've been doing here, alone? Trying to find their leader?"

Matt nodded, leading me into his own office, which was lined with walls of messily placed papers, books, and any other paper material, and an old record player on an aged desk. "I've been working seven years trying to find their leader and confront him." He said, stepping forward to grab a particular file. "I found his group, only to realize he wasn't with them... they said he'd left, but of course, never told me where."

I cleared my throat, Matt turning to face me, the file still in his hands. "So... who is this rival group you're targeting?" I asked, genuinely curious.

Matt's gaze turned serious, his cold eyes narrowing. "The Red Army."

>-Tord's P.O.V, Present-<

"Do you have to stay that long?" I asked sadly.

The phone's reception kicked out for a moment, and then the brunet responded. "I want to help Matt. Just a little longer." Tom said briskly, determination audible in his tone. My hand's grasp on the device loosened, and I nodded, forgetting he can't actually see me.

"Alright, don't be gone too long." 

Tom hung up, leaving me in silence. 

I was honestly worried. Should I have gotten Tom into this mess? Should I have even stayed behind? Maybe I should have gone with Tom so I could feel a little bit safer about what Tom is doing...?

Paranoid thoughts began to swarm my mind as I laid down on Tom's unkempt bed. I subjected myself to confronting them by closing my good eye. 

No, that's not right.

I look around upon a misty scenery, two silhouettes just barely visible in the distance. I walked cautiously closer, realizing they were two males, judging by their voices. And, they were arguing. 

"How could you do something like this?"

"You don't understand, idiot. You NEVER understand!"

"I thought we were closer than this. Please, tell me you won't do it again."

"I can't make any promises,"

"You've walked along the wrong path, Tord. Trust me."

Tord...? How could I be dreaming about myself? Although... this could be a memory, but I don't recall this event. 

One of the figures stalked in the opposite direction, leaving the other to bow his head, either ashamed or angered, I couldn't tell. I left the scene to walk onward, my gaze scanning my surroundings. I halted at another sight.

There was only one figure, his identity clearer to me now. He looked... just like me. Although less... mauled. He looked younger, his caramel hair that spiked up in two gently swaying with the soft, foggy breeze we were caught in. He wore a navy trench coat with a crimson undershirt, chains visible on his wrists and neck, along with a pair of ripped, black jeans.

I stepped a little closer, panic and uncertainty rushing over me. Surprisingly, the younger me didn't move, his sharp, green glare fixed on something I had forgotten to take note of. Blueprints. He had his hands spread over the paper, his eyes full of accomplishment. I crept closer, coming in contact with the memory. Looking upon his work, my throat clenched and I felt overwhelmed. 

Project 7-X4L, Human Mutation

I slowly backed away, my heart pounding. This did seem very, VERY familiar. I lifted my head up at younger me, whose expression faltered in the slightest, a bit of regret taking play. 

Suddenly, an image flickered in my mind, scarlet failure flooding the concrete below my feet as the younger me fell to the ground, his eye and arm severely damaged, his breathing low and unsteady. Behind him, a few other unrecognizable figures held strong chains that were wrapped around the neck and arms of a violently thrashing individual, whose sharp, white eyes seared with rage.

I winced, looking back down at the injured person below me. 

T-that's... m-me alright...

My frightened expression dropped, my eye closing once more. 

"Wow, you're a deep sleeper."

I opened my eye once more to see Tom sitting next to me, his calm expression silently soothing me. 

"H-hey..." I greeted, still weary of the events I had witnessed. Tom raised an eyebrow, resting a hand on my shoulder.

"You okay? Did you have a nightmare?" He asked, concern in his tone. I nodded while looking away, unsure of how to react.

"I... I think so." I responded, shaking my head to clear my thoughts. Tom never took his hand off my shoulder, as did I never look back up at him.

I couldn't help but think; Who was the one that caused my wounds? If only my vision had been clearer. Tom shook my shoulder gently to bring me back to reality. "I need to ask you something. Something really important." Tom announced promptly, looking me in the eye.

"Yeah?" I was still trailing off to my dream... still wondering what that was all about. Tom rested his free hand on a file beside him, narrowing his eyes. 

"Do you happen to know who the Red Army are?"

<3----------------------x

Chapter 2, released! hope you enjoyed it :P k bye <3