*4*

>/Tom's P.O.V, Past/<

I shoved past crowds of people as I ran as fast as I could. My heart raced, my lungs grasping for a quick, safe breath. But I couldn't stop. Not with this thought. 

Hearing harsh slurs around me as I fought without hesitation, I tried to tune out the sound. Blinded by my swarming thoughts, I collided with someone, only me falling backwards. The other individual snickered.

"Since when have you been so clumsy, Tom?"  

Before I could begin my venomous response, I was cut off.

"Although I'm pretty sure you always have been." Tord chuckled, watching me with narrowed green eyes as I got myself up. I wanted so badly to fight the communist then and there, but I knew better. 

"I know where you're going next week. 'No college,' Edd told me, 'the army.' And not the army that protects the country." I admitted, locking my gaze into his maliciously pleased gaze. "The one that destroys it. I know you plan to kill innocent. Conquer the lives of the helpless. To 'cure' your own heartless." I muttered the last few words, earning a raised brow from Tord. 

"You must be mistaken. This army will make the world a better place by--" He began, his expression faltering with agitation at me.

"Slaughtering the weak and unwanted." I finished, scowling.

He was soon beside me, one hand on my shoulder, the other animating his words. "No. Using the intelligent and strong to defend the weak." He corrected, slowly leading me away from the building crowds behind us. I felt small and helpless under his dark glare. As I was about to make another courageous remark, he interrupted me this time.

"And I will lead them to victory. So don't deny it. Soon you'll see me on news headlines, saying how much of a inspirational and world-changing leader I'm going to be, and you'll be sorry then." He fantasized, gazing off at the gloomy grey sky with disgust at the lugubrious weather. 

"What if you don't 'succeed'?" I queried. Tord let go of my shoulder to stand with a sophisticated stance, head high and back almost straight. He looked right at me with the most foreboding smirk.

"That, Tom, won't be a problem. Because I will succeed. I will have thousands bowing before me like I was ruler of the world... that sounds fitting... and I'd be leading capture missions... getting to demolish things, that's fun... but most of all, I'd be practically famous with my feats!" He exclaimed, throwing his hands in the air as he imagined his dreams. 

I gave him a long, distrusting look, and in those moments, a choking silence filled the cool afternoon air.

"I thought we were closer than this. I thought I knew you better than this. You're not really a killer, are you Tord? Beneath that sly and notorious mask you're just like me. Lonely, outcast, not understanding who you are, knowing you could do better. And you can. You can be so much better than this! You're smart, uhm... sort of well-educated, and you certainly don't need to rule an army. You could be a scientist, or a historian! Anything but a cold-hearted villain." I protested, feeling betrayed at what I witnessed. Tord looked almost hurt, but understanding quickly hid the pain. 

"I will SHOW you, someday, Tom. I will show you I have never been who you thought I was. I'm certainly not a loser like you, no-eyes." He countered, his eyes narrowed at me once more. I was annoyed by the insult, but I let him continue, only to save my breath. "Soon, you'll wonder why you never became a better person. A more daring person. Like me."

"I don't want to be like you. You're nothing like the person I want to become. You are the bi-polar opposite and you should know! You want to spend the rest of your live massacring millions and enslaving those left behind to do whatever you want. Manipulative, deceitful, overlooking your own crucial mistakes and never regretting a single one. You're dark and poisoned by greed. I'd never want to be anything... like... you." I spat at the Norwegian, who had let all his walls down and revealed the gravely hurt expression beneath. He opened his mouth to snap back, but all that was said was a small, 'wow', as his desperate eyes darted between me and the grass below our shoes.