Chapter 8

"Alright girls, this is the game determining wether or not we've got what it takes to be the best," I said.

We were huddled together in a circle, arms around each other, having a group talk before our practice game. The Interhigh tournament was around the corner and it was pretty big, but for me it was only a bunch of practice games until nationals. Right now we were going against Aobajōsai high, the girl's team. They weren't as reputable as the boy's team but they made up for their lack of skill in spirit.

"Break down the barriers, go around if that can't be done. Our one objective is to keep the ball in play"

"Right!" They all said.

We pulled away and stacked our hands in the middle of the circle. "Karasuno!" We all cheered.

I found my spot, getting into position. I was the only ace on the team but they never saw the need for another one. I could hear some of the guys in the bleachers cheering us on. Before the whistle blew I glanced over at them, getting some waves and thumbs up.

"You can do this Ace!" Noya shouted.

"Win this!" Tanaka shouted.

All the things being shouted were jumbled together. There wasn't a crowd, other than the boy's volleyball team, which made their cheering seem out of place.

"Show me what you can do, Myra," a different voice stood out amongst the shouting.

My eyes went from where the team was sitting to the other end of the bleachers, on the side of Aobajōsai high's team. Oikawa was sitting there, his eyes trained on me, ignoring the friend who was sitting beside him and trying to talk. He winked when our eyes met, a childish smile on his face.

The whistle blew and my team served. Their Libero bumped the ball back to us before it hit the floor, just barely sending it back over the net.

"Chance ball!" I shout.

The setter set it to me and before any of the blockers could get in the air my feet had already left the ground and my hand came in contact with the ball. It made a loud smack on the floor, hitting the back corner of the court.

The room was silent while everyone tried to process what just happened. My team came to realization first, high-fiving me and patting me on the back for a good job.

"You're amazing!" Came from Tanaka and Noya.

We had the lead, winning by 10 points, and it was my turn to serve. I took a couple steps back, bouncing the ball. I waited for the whistle then charged forward until I was just outside the court, jumped, and whacked the ball to the other side. It went right past the blockers, almost hitting one of them in the face, and hit the floor.

"Ace! Yes!" Hinata shouted.

When I looked over at the benches I saw him staring at me, amazed and wide eyed. Clearly he wanted to be in my position, to be like me.

"Not bad," I heard from Oikawa.

It wasn't just that my team was amazing, the other team was a bit distracted by Oikawa's presence. They never managed to get anymore points and we won the first set. We took a break in between and all the guys crowded around me, not one of their eyes stealing a glance at the other girls.

"I never knew you could play that well," Daichi said.

"I've improved since you saw me play in nationals," I tell him, squirting some water from my water bottle into my mouth.

"Can you teach me how to serve like that?" Hinata asked.

"If there's time between your regular training and school then sure, I'll teach you how to jump serve"

"Yay!" He exclaimed happily.

"I never actually thought the rumours were true," Oikawa said, breaking through the circle of boys. The boy he was sitting with earlier was beside him.

"What rumours?" I ask.

"That you are the best"

"That's not even a rumour, that's just what was written on the magazine cover. Remember, the magazine you had me sign?"

"Trashykawa, mind introducing me?" The boy beside him said.

"Myra, this is Iwaizumi Hajime"

"Wait, the Ace Of Hearts?" Iwaizumi asks Oikawa.

"Yup, nice to meet you"

"Dude!" He exclaimed. "I thought you were joking"

"No way. Myra-chan, tell him we met before"

"You winked at me," I say, letting the fact he called me Myra-chan slide.

"There was also the time you signed the magazine. By the way, I never got a call or text from you. Did you lose my number?" Oikawa asks.

"Yes. Purposefully"

The guys around me laughed, even Iwaizumi, while Oikawa pouted. It was pretty cute, but as soon as that thought was created I threw it out. I didn't want to become one of his fan girls, I didn't even want to be anything like them.

"Why are you so mean? Is it because you're hiding your love for me?"

"This is the longest halftime break ever," I mumble.

Oikawa pulled me in for a hug, leaving me to look at the gym behind him, unable to turn my head or wrench myself from his hold.

"I was cheering for you you know, not the other team"

"Good to know," I must've sounded very uninterested. "Now let go"

"Is it true though? You're going to send these guys to the nationals? Why don't you come over to Aobajōsai high and help us instead, we're more likely to win than them anyway"

I opened my mouth and the whistle blew. He reluctantly let go of me and I went back to the court.

"We can talk more later Myra-chan," he said, waving at me.

We all huddled together and the girls started bombarding me with questions.

"Who's that hottie?" Kobayashi asks.

"And why was he hugging you?" Watanabe added.

"Is he your boyfriend?" Akagi asks finally.

"No he's not my boyfriend. That guy is Oikawa, or as his friend calls him, Trashykawa. I don't know why he was hugging me though, he's really weird"

"I don't understand you. You were just surrounded by a group of hot guys and didn't even blush or stutter," Harada says.

"I'd love all that attention you are getting, we should just switch lives," Fujioka says.

"Girls, we are huddled together to get a plan together, not talk about me and those guys"

"Introduce us to the boy's team later, I want to see what they're like," Kobayashi says.

"Fine. Alright, same plan as before. Break through the blockers, keep the ball from hitting the floor"

"Karasuno!" We cheered, our hands shooting up in the air.