Chapter 15

The guys were all hanging around in the gym, talking about someone. Tanaka had brought in a volleyball magazine and he was showing the others one of the pages.

"Dude that's nuts! It's like a whole page!" Noya said, looking at the magazine.

"Right?" Tanaka replied.

"Let me see..." Asahi said while Noya showed him the page. "Ah!"

He seemed surprised by what Noya showed him. Hinata and Kageyama went over to join the conversation. I dropped my things and made my way over as well.

"What's everyone talking about?" Hinata asks.

"Look," Tanaka said, showing Hinata the magazine. "That's Ushiwaka from Shiratorizawa Academy. They named him one of the three players to watch out for in this years nationals"

"That's the school Kageyama didn't get in to," Hinata said.

"Would you shut it!" Kageyama yelled at him.

Tsukki and Guchi were both holding back their laughs while Kageyama turned on them, yelling at them for laughing at him.

"Who's Ushiwaka?" Hinata asks.

"Wakatoshi Ushijima," I answer. "The number one ace in the prefecture"

"That's what an ace is supposed to look like," Daichi said, looking up at Asahi after saying it.

"Whoa, hey, why is everyone glaring at me?" Asahi asks.

He turned around, looking down gloomily. Noya went up and patted his back, trying to be comforting. Noya turned back to us, leaving Asahi alone.

"That's only in the male category though," Noya says.

I look at him, my eyebrows scrunching together. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Flip to the next page," Tanaka tells Hinata.

Hinata flipped to the next page and there was a picture of me spiking the ball. My hair was flying, my face was serious. A lot of different things written around the picture, talking about the Ace Of Hearts and how she was, ahem, 'the best of the best'.

"How did I not know about this?" I mutter.

"You're in the magazine! That's so cool!" Hinata exclaimed.

"Yeah," I say, not so enthusiastically.

Ukai came over, reading off a sheet of paper about some of the other teams they were going to face off against and what their specialties were. If he wanted to make them feel threatened by the teams they would be facing then he was doing a good job.

"Good job Ukai in lessening the pressure," I tell him.

"What? I'm just telling them what to look out for"

"Don't worry, you guys will find your ways around their specialties. Besides, they have to worry about us as well, not just the other way around"

The next day I went up to the club room to get the rest of the guys for their practice. Tanaka was only wearing pink and yellow boxers, going on about having a girlfriend to cheer you on.

"Isn't your big sports thing tomorrow?" He asked in a girly voice.

He then ran to the other side. He spoke in a regular voice. "Yes darling it is"

He ran back to the other side, talking in the girly voice once again. "Isn't this the one you've been practicing so hard for?"

"Yeah, baby, I can't thank you enough for supporting my dream"

"Oh I don't mind at all," he giggled. "Nothing makes me happier than watching you play baby~"

"Do you mean it?" He asked, a tear coming from his eye.

Ennoshita was watching him. I couldn't tell what he was thinking but it was probably something along the lines of 'what the heck is he doing?'.

"I really wanted to do something for you before the game so I um, made you this"

"Is that a good luck charm?"

"That's right, do your best ok?"

He went back to normal, no longer in the one person play he was just putting on, facing the window. "See? I wanna be more fired up about the game. But first I need a girlfriend. One that's sexy"

"Uh..."

Both of them turned to look at me, Tanaka quickly attempting to cover himself up with his hands, a small blush covering his cheeks. I started laughing like crazy, falling to the ground and holding my stomach.

"If you keep talking like that I'll tell the coach to give me your spot," Ennoshita told Tanaka, walking past me.

"God, that was hilarious," I stand up and put a hand on the doorknob. "Just saying, you won't get a girlfriend acting like that. If you want to get a girlfriend I suggest you actually try talking to girls instead of chasing after them"

I leave, closing the door behind me before he could run after me, and go to the gym. Ukai was making them go through receiving drills.

"This team is so weird," I say to no one in particular.

"How?" Guchi asked me, getting something to drink.

"Well, I just found Tanaka in his underwear going on about getting a girlfriend," he looked like he didn't believe me. "Trust me, go ask Ennoshita if you don't believe me"

"Yamaguchi! Get back in line!" Ukai shouted.

"S-Sorry sir!" Guchi said, running back to the line.

"Ukai, can I try something with them?"

He shrugs. "Go ahead"

I went to the other end of the court while the guys remained in their lines. I told them what was going to happen. I would serve the ball, they'd bump it back to me, I'd spike it and they'd have to keep it in play.

"I'm not going easy on any of you either"

None of them managed to save one of my spikes until Noya came up to the court.

"Come on Yū, do your job, keep the ball in play"

He nods and I started the drill. I jumped when he bumped the ball back and spiked it, going for the opposite side he was on, but Noya was there in an instant, sending the ball back to me.

"Finally, that's what I was looking for guys! You need to be able to sense your opponents next move. Let's keep it going"