I. MALFOY AND NOTT

CHAPTER ONE:MALFOY AND NOTT:▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

CHAPTER ONE:
MALFOY AND NOTT:
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

      "He's not here."

      Nova felt a small smile crack at the corners of her lips when she walked into her usual compartment the next morning. Even if Theo wasn't there, like she had been expecting, Blaise Zabini was, and he was just as friendly a face to see. Though she wondered where her brother was and she was anxious about seeing him after their longest time spent apart ever, she was happy to see the boy sitting in the compartment by himself. "Well," she said slowly, drawing out her words as she plopped down in the chair across from him. "I suppose you'll do."

      Blaise scoffed and rolled his eyes at her. "He went to go get us some treats from the trolley. Parkinson and Bulstrode are keeping their distance because Malfoy finally got the guts to break up with her and she's devastated. Pretty sure Daphne's with them." Even Blaise couldn't help the victorious smile that landed on his face after that particular statement. Though he'd expressed to Nova that he felt bad for Greengrass, he also expressed that he'd been waiting for the better part of his entire Hogwarts career in love with Theo. "Crabbe and Goyle are off doing Merlin knows what and Malfoy is at the prefects' carriage, harassing Granger and Weasley, no doubt." It didn't take long for Blaise's face to morph into the pitying look she'd been getting from Weasley's brothers over the summer. "Merlin, I forgot, I'm sorry."

      "What have you got to be sorry about?" Nova asked, shrugging. The quick, stinging zap in her chest was usual. Something she'd gotten used to a while ago. "I'm fine. I wallowed for a day and that was all I allowed myself. The Slytherin Ice Queen is back." When Blaise pouted playfully, she sighed. "With a few exceptions, of course. Things won't go back to before regarding the two of us. You're too useful to keep around."

      "Also, I did technically find you a place to live over the summer." And Nova would never be able to thank him enough for that. But she knew that even if she tried to thank him, Blaise wouldn't accept it. So she simply gave him a small smile and crossed her arms over her chest wryly, her way of expressing that she planned to get him something as a thank you gift later. "How was working with Fred and George? I don't think I could ever work in a place like that."

      "Don't make fun of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes," she defended.

      Blaise held up his hands in defense. "I'm just saying I'm not a joking person. Nothing against Fred and George, but pranks aren't really my thing."

      Nova shrugged. She hadn't exactly been a joking person either when she started at Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, but she'd gotten used to the random pranks and weird experiments the twins made her try. They'd even gotten her to try her hand in the charming of potions. She was the reason their love potion was so successful, something George made sure to praise her for everyday. "You get used to them," Nova replied, shrugging her shoulders and leaning back in her seat. Her entire body felt like it was dipped in energy, running through her veins and exploding out of her fingertips and toes. She knew Theo was near. She was going to see her brother for the first time in nearly three months. She stood from her seat, anxiously watching the door. Blais was saying something but she tuned him out the second the compartment door opened and Theo walked through.