VI. LONELINESS

CHAPTER SIX:LONELINESS▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

CHAPTER SIX:
LONELINESS
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

      For some unknown reason, Malfoy wanted her to come to Quidditch tryouts.

      She didn't know the reason for this. She didn't like Quidditch all that much. She was pretty good at it, if her backyard competitions with Theo said anything about her ability, but she mostly played at home because Theo wanted to. As for herself, she didn't care much about the sport. Which was why she was so confused when Malfoy arranged for Daphne to wake Nova up so they could get out to the Quidditch Pitch.

      "Don't ask why he wanted you to come," Daphne said quietly, giving Nova a look. "I just did what he said so he'd shut up."

      Nova didn't blame Daphne for just doing what Malfoy said. In the end, it was easier than arguing with him.

      The two girls made their way to the stands, preparing for Slytherin's tryouts. Gryffindor was still on the pitch conducting their tryouts, so Nova could see Hermione sitting in the stands a little higher up than she was. Hermione sent her a cautious wave, like she wasn't sure whether or not Nova would respond. Sending her the slightest curl of the lips, Nova nodded and turned back to Daphne. 

      "Didn't know McLaggen was trying out this year," Daphne mentioned offhandedly. 

      And he was. He was going up against Weasley, from what Nova could tell. And even though everything in her told her that she didn't want to care about whether or not he did well, she found her eyes glued to the pitch to see what happened. She noticed Ginny also trying out, her hair pulled back into a no-nonsense, serious ponytail. Daphne gave Nova the barest smile.

      "The family seems nice," Daphne said after a couple of moments. If she noticed Nova gripping the bench underneath her so tightly that her knuckles were turning white, she didn't say anything. "I never talked to them much. They don't really like involving themselves with Slytherins." Nova hummed in agreement, eyes still on the pitch. "Do you... do you still love him?"

      This statement was the one that made Nova's head turn. She turned to look at Daphne, who was worrying her lower lip with her teeth. "I just ask because it seems like you've gotten over him and I'm... I'm jealous, I suppose. I'm still getting over Theo, and we weren't even together for that long. I see you and you just seem to have everything together and I want that for myself."

      Nova couldn't stop the snort that escaped her lips. "Yeah, right." At Daphne's confused look, Nova explained, "Daphne, I'm not over it at all. I'm still so angry and annoyed and heartbroken. I've just decided that it's a waste of time to feel those things. He made his choice and he has to deal with it." She watched as McLaggen blocked the Quaffle from entering the hoop and Nova bit her tongue to keep from calling out something rude.