Dahlia

Laurent

Laurent

The universe is a shady bitch sometimes. She's the banana peel on the floor waiting to trip you up. The salt you confused for sugar, that ended up in your morning coffee. An unexpected curveball, a twist of fate.

Standing in Petsmart, staring at the blue hyacinth macaw of my dreams, I knew she'd done it again. Because of one well-played joke, we were here to pick out my collar. Larry didn't have the slightest idea what it meant, or that I'd donned one before. But when the opportunity presented itself I ran with it. Turning his tease into something of the more literal sense. I missed the security of having one, and whether it was for the right reasons or not, I was going to enjoy having that comfort once again. We could figure out the rest later.

My phone interrupted my thoughts and I tilted the screen to see the number. The theme song for Cruella Deville blasted before I could even see the number. My mothers ringtone. She even has the premature wisps of white hair to make the comparison even more hilarious.

Laurent: Greetings mother dearest
Janet: I'm calling to confirm you'll be home this weekend
Laurent: And why would I ever do that?
Janet: It's the governors ball, your father is the keynote speaker. You are expected to be there.
Laurent: I'm sure my presence won't be missed that badly, tell them I'm away at college.
Janet: Sure, while I'm at it I'll let American Express know you're no longer an authorized user on the account.
Laurent: Dads the only one that can make those changes, maybe he should remove you instead. Can I get a plus one?
Janet: Fine. I'll email you the reservation and dress code. We're staying at the Sheraton, no parties at the apartment while we're gone.
Laurent: Cant make any promises about that or the attire. Oh and did I mention my date likes meth?
Janet: I'll put you on our tab at the bar if you show up with a reasonable guest, and if you behave I'll get you a hotel room too. But you're not getting an executive suite this time. I'm still paying for the damage done to the last one.
Laurent: Take my suits to the dry cleaners this week and it's a deal.
Janet: I'm going to have to go dye my hair after this conversation, I feel a gray appearing every time you speak.
Laurent: Goodnight she-devil

Without a goodbye I hear her receiver click, ending the call. Normally I don't get away with that much bargaining before she brings in father. It must be a high profile event with wagers that high. Ill have to check the email later. More than likely the venue will be somewhere posh, the menu..gourmet and the drinks..top-shelf. I made out like a bandit if I did say so myself. It will be interesting to see how Larry reacts when I tell him I'm going away for the weekend.

Stepping out front my eyes snapped to the black car, Dahlia in all her beauty looked majestic under the dark sky. I fell in love with her time and time again on nights like this. Larry was in the front seat, wearing a precarious half grin and I rolled my eyes. I walked towards his side, waiting for the window to roll down I felt like a call girl about the beckon some John to let her in. It was odd to see another person driving my Dahlia, I didn't know quite what to make of it.