The 76th Hunger Games|Chapter Four

I shuffled off the stage and was put into a booth by the train station. They said this was where my family would come visit me. I waited for some reassurance but all I got was Anastasia. It wasn't a bad visit, I was just waiting for my family.

We stared at eachother, tears swelling in her eyes. I looked down and felt her arms wrap around me.

"Happy Hunger Games.." She croaked.

She was pulled out of the booth by two peacekeepers. I stood there and was directed by Windle into a train car. It was decorated with nice cushy chairs and beautiful embroidery on practically everything. The windows were glazed with fake frost swirls. The overall feel of everything was elegance that I couldn't comprehend. I stood in the doorway, awestruck, while Windle walked pass me.

"I don't like things as," He paused to think of the right word. "Bright and fluffy as other Capital citizens. They're too inconsistent, those colors. Blegh." He said, sticking his tongue out. He took a bottle of brandy from nearby and poured it into a finely cut shot glass.

"Aged 23 years." He said over his shoulder.

" What? " I said finally coming to my senses.

"The brandy. " He said, looking at me. "It's aged 23 years."

"Oh, sorry, I don't know much about alcohol." I said. He poured another glass and handed to me.

"Um, no thank you, I don't drink." I said.

"Come on, just try it." I took the glass from Windle and sniffed it. It smelled good enough. I held the glass up to my lips and took a tiny sip. My lips curled back and I felt a slight sting in my throat.

"Go on, drink the rest of it." I reluctantly held the glass and paused.

"Might as well get it over with.." I thought. I took the brandy and threw it down my throat. It was like a flame had lit in my throat. I yelped, set the glass down, and went in search of some water.

"Ha ha, brave aren't you?" He said, sipping his own glass. I found some water in a heavy jug and drank most of the contents. I sighed after a felt the pain going down again. I walked over to table and grabbed a smaller glass. I filled it up about halfway. It tasted good, but my throat still hurt.  Windle glanced at his watch.

"It's time for dinner." He smiled at me.