The 76th Hunger Games|Chapter Six

I bolted up-right in my cushion for a bed. I bounced up from the mattress and into the wooden floors. Running out into the main car of the train, I looked at the protruding smoke coming from the kitchen.

"I'm sorry! Oh my God, I'm so sorry!" A woman was gasping through her crying and kitchen mates were scolding her.

"Now look what you've done! We've got to put out this fire now, Raina!"

"This is just going to absolutely ruin the kitchen tiles, isn't it?"

"Stop standing around, Raina!"

The woman called "Raina" stood up and wiped her red face. She took a nearby boot a tried to slap the fire out, but that only gave it more air which resulted in a larger fire.

"You can't even put out a simple flame!" They scoffed.

"Stop slapping it, Raina! The fire's spreading!" As soon as that was said, the fire caught on to the nearby spices scattered on the counter tops.

"Evacu--" before the woman could finish, she was coughing and heaving. She collapsed on the tiles, splattering blood from under her head. Screams and coughs were heard and fire covered over half of the room now. The smoke took the kitchen by force, sending half a dozen kitchen mates scrambling out of the kitchen.

I was so consumed by listening to the scenario, that I didn't notice the smoke snaking around me. Once I coughed that first time, I finally came to my senses. I stumbled out of the room into the middle floor of the car. I had no idea how we were supposed to get out. The train was moving continuously and showed no signs of stopping. I looked around for Windle or Daniel and saw that they were in almost the same state as me.

"Windle! Daniel! Come over here! I think I have a plan!" I coughed a few times and saw them frantically running over to me.

"What do ya got?" Daniel asked, struggling to put a sock on.

"Well," I pointed to the car door. "That's our best chance."

"What's she doing?" Windle said, looking at the car door.

"Who?" I turned and saw Johanna already starting to jump out of the door.

"I guess that's our queue." Windle jogged over to door.

"Are you coming?" Windle asked us. We followed and stood in the doorway. Johanna was holding the frame of the car door and bead of sweat rolled down the side of her face. She saw us waiting on her and stepped back.

"Um, I guess you can go." She said, awkwardly.

Windle and Daniel went before me. The smoke started to creep our way. At least we'd be safe near the rushing, fresh air outside. I stood like Johanna did not too long ago. Instead of getting the time I needed, piles of women cornered near our spot. I felt a shove from behind and suddenly, I was tumbling through grassy hills and I felt a sharp pain in my left shoulder. Close to my heart.