10 ♛ Old Habits Die Hard

"Maddie? Madeline!"

"Maddie? Madeline!"

  "Hm?" Her head shot up. She had blanked out for a few minutes. Red-hot anger clouded her vision.

  "Are you okay? You haven't spoken in a while. Don't you have more questions?"

  Getting up, she shook her head and closed her notebook. "Nor, I-uh- have to go somewhere. I'll be quick."

  "But-"

  She quickly slipped on her Bottega boots and grabbed her keys. "I'm sorry. You can stay here! My Dad will be home any minute. Show him our shots!"

  Nora quickly got up and tried unsuccessfully to calm her down by holding her arm and forcing her to stop moving. "Maddie, what the fuck is going on? Are you okay?"

Madeline was far from okay. She experiencing that grey space psychological state between hellish rage and sinister calmness. It was suffocating, like a rope wrapping tighter and tighter around her.

If it had been anyone else, maybe Madeline wouldn't have cared. But Nora?! Really? He was clearly just playing with their mutual best-friend to spite Madeline.

"I'm fine."

Madeline sprinted downstairs before Nora could squeeze in another word. She could hear her call after her but she ignored her as she made her way to her Maserati.

Madeline didn't actually have a license and was slightly tipsy but cheque for a couple thousand dollars was enough to silence the police. She jammed the key into the Italian car's ignition and sped through the wrought iron gates of the manor, zooming through traffic.

She wondered if she should have called Oliver first but realised quickly that he would have somehow twisted the situation and diverted any blame. No, she needed to see him, to talk to him, to scrutinise any emotion passing through his stoic face.

Her heart was racing. She couldn't think straight. She could barely focus in on the road in front of her. Madeline was forced to pull over to the side of the highway just to catch her breath. Emotions were always delayed to her. It was like hurting your arm and only realising it was bleeding five hours later.

  She banged her head against the wheel and released a long, loud groan. Was she overreacting? No, no, she had every right to be angry. Being exclusive didn't mean that Oliver could date with Nora. He was just doing this to get to Madeline. In a way, Madeline was actually confronting him to protect Nora. Her motives were totally unselfish! Selfless. Madeline was selfless. She smiled proudly to herself and revved up the musical engine once more.