32 ♛ ICARUS

Madeline often told people her mother died alone in the gutters outside some club

  Madeline often told people her mother died alone in the gutters outside some club. That was a lie. Madeline was just coming home from cheer practice when she found her mother rummaging through her drawers. She had said she was looking for paper but Madeline knew her mother was looking for money. She had been cut off and all her accounts had been drained into daily drug fiestas. However, Nora, Oliver and Spencer were coming over and she couldn't risk them seeing her mother. It was too embarrassing. So she handed her desperate mother a fifty dollar bill and begged her to not come back for the next few hours. And Valentina did exactly that. She never stepped back into the house again. Instead, Jamal had rushed in while tween Madeline was in the middle of a game of truth or dare with her friends and told her that her mother was dead. It was Madeline's fault. Or at least that's what she grew to believe.

  So maybe this was karma. Maybe she deserved this. Maybe this was god's way of punishing her for destroying the lives of everyone around her.

  "Eighteen year old female, found after car accident on highway, suspected to be under the influence. Internal bleeding, second degree burns on right leg and four inch laceration on head...."

She could hear the doctors scurrying around listing out everything she did to herself, everything she deserved, every reason she should have been dead.

"Oh my God. Madeline. I-I know her," A male's voice shouted. "What happened?!"

"Sir, I'm going to need you to step away so that the doctors can help her."

"Wait! I'm Oliver Scott. I'm her friend. Please, tell me what happened!"

"Sir-sir...."

The rest of the conversation faded out in Madeline's mind. Their voices slowly disintegrated to nothing, to mere white noise.

♛ ♛ ♛

"Is she going to be okay?"

"We're trying the best we can, sir."

"I'm her father, I should have been there for her."

"I can assure you, sir, that this is no one's fault."

"Honey, please get some rest."

"How can I get some rest, Priya, when my little girl is dying."

"She's not dying-"

"No one knows!"

♛ ♛ ♛