17 ♛ The Night of Nights (II)

Oliver lead Madeline to a secluded spot

  Oliver lead Madeline to a secluded spot. It was usually used as a VIP room but for the gala it was closed off to everyone so they were safe. It was like a lounge area with a balcony view of the hall. Madeline could spot Nora's glowing dress from where they were but no one ever really looked up. They were invisible. Madeline sat on one of the sofas and crossed her legs. Oliver remained standing, looming over her.

  "What was that?" His eyes darkened and he did that thing with his eyebrows.

  She played dumb and shrugged. "What was what?" She leaned back and smirked.

  "Don't get Spencer involved."

  "Involved in what?" She could sense him growing more and more annoyed. It felt glorious.

  "Why are you doing this?"

  She wanted to keep going but carefully studied his appearance first. She watched the way his hands subtly shook at his sides and the way he kept running them through his hair. What if he was really upset? Her heart suddenly dropped in her chest. What if she was hurting him?

  "What's wrong?"

  "You can't be with Spencer."

  "Why not?"

  "It's Spencer!"

"It's no different than you and Nora."

  "Yes it is."

  "No. It's not! I don't know what you expected out of whatever this is but you can't tell me who and who not to be with. And I'm not going to wait around for you."

  "I never asked you to." Oliver's hand reached to grab her arm but he stopped midway and yanked it back.

  "Then why am I here, Oliver? If you don't care who I'm with, why did you bring me here?"

  He looked down at his shoes, avoiding eye contact. It was like he wanted to say something but was too afraid to. They remained quiet for a while, until he took a deep breath in and looked solemnly at her.

"You... you said you loved me."

  Madeline froze and looked up at him. She never felt so embarrassed in her life. She opened her mouth to say something but quickly shut it. He heard her on the phone. Anyone else would have dismissed it as an offhand comment but Oliver knew her better than she knew herself. He registered the truth in her words.

"You heard me on the phone."

  He say down beside her and sighed. "Yes I did."

  She kept silent. Anything she said could have disastrous effects. She had promised herself she would end her relationship with Oliver at the gala but it was becoming all too real. Disgust raged in her mind as she realised the malice in her actions. She hurt Oliver by kissing Spencer and even though that wasn't the reason she kissed him, she did get a sick joy out of Oliver's pain. Her actions were harming all three of her friends. Oh God, what was she doing?