Chapter One

It's Thursday. Sam is at home, a small little house in an old, broken down neighborhood, population six. He's alone under that roof, at least he thinks he is.

Because two feet away stands the archangel Lucifer, presented in a smaller version of his true form, yet he is shielding himself from the eyes of any human. He's invisible, so he doesn't melt Sam's eyes out. His three sets of wings are folded neatly behind them, each of them a deep shade of red faded from a raven black. His entire figure glowed brightly, but Lucifer has learned to dim himself when necessary. Right now he didn't need to. The atmosphere around him was ice cold. But Sam is used to the temperature. He's been around it his whole life.

Today, Sam is free of anything to do. So he just sits on his couch, staring at Netflix while scrolling through his laptop until he finds a case. His big brother, Dean, is out at a bar, possibly trying to hook up with some chick.

Lucifer stood silently, knowing Sam wouldn't be finding a case at all for a while. Everything was somewhat peaceful at the moment. Besides, Lucifer took that as a high advantage, hence he already had plans for the day.

After decades of being Sam Winchester's guardian archangel, Lucifer has had to stay hidden. It's a part of the rules that the mortal doesn't see the angel, then again Lucifer isn't exactly known for following rules, hence he's going to break that today.

He can't stand being the unseen guardian forever, he wants Sam to finally acknowledge him one day. He wants to see Sam intentionally look at him, to talk to him, to do anything to acknowledge his existence. Know why?

Because Lucifer is in love with Sam Winchester.

The archangel took a deep breath and brought a smile to his face. “See you soon, Sam,” he said before vanishing and reappearing somewhere more in town.

Lucifer looked around him, at all the passing people. He could see the humanity that he's despised for so long, the little roaches. He could also see the dozens of angels that fluttered above their heads. He could see that some of the angels were distressed with the state of their depressed human. Other angels showed sorrow that their human would soon be taken by death. The rest were smiling and mostly happy with the excellent progress that they were making with their human.

Lucifer would consider his progress neutral. He takes care of Sam the best he can as an invisible guardian archangel. He's not like most of the angels that watch over humans. Not just because he's an archangel, or that he's perceived as the devil, but it's the way he handles things.

When Sam is desperate and in need of comfort, Lucifer is able to provide as much as he can. Making a treat or two appear, try to speak to Sam in his mind... Anything would do. But when there's a threat to Sam, even someone who so much as aggressively yells at Sam, Lucifer gets protective. Usually whomever hurt Sam would be found the next day with their eyes burnt out or in little bits and pieces of blood and meat. The only ‘threat’ Lucifer hasn't handled is Sam's brother and father. You can blame Lucifer for Sam's lack of friends.

But, all that aside, Lucifer took a deep breath to focus on his current intentions. Before he can approach Sam, Lucifer needs to take a different form. Find a vessel. All he had to do was turn his head, and he found a man absent of a guardian angel. A small smile formed on Lucifer's face, and he began following that man. He read through his mind, a man named Nick, alone and no family. Nobody is going to miss him, so Lucifer might as well give a shot as using him for a vessel.

“Nick,” said Lucifer, and the man stopped in his tracks after hearing his name, his head going in every direction to find who was speaking to him. “Nick, you're in pain.”

The man's head fell, and he continued walking. “Go away,” said Nick.

“I can help you. I ask for a simple trade,” Lucifer continued to follow the man, who soon turned down an alleyway.

Nick shook his head as he came to halt once he had gone deep down the alleyway. He spun his body around to face where the voice he was hearing, Lucifer's voice, was coming from. He took a wary step back when he didn't see anyone. Nick shook his head and turned away. “I'm crazy… maybe just too much booze,” he mumbled.

“You're not crazy, Nick,” said Lucifer. “I want to help you. All you have to do is let me in, okay?” He tried his best to make this seem as calm and casual as possible.

“Let you in,” Nick scoffed with a small, sickened laugh. He thought he was going crazy, thought he was hearing voices. “And how would you help me exactly, you're just a voice.”

“No,” Lucifer corrected. “I'm an angel.”

Nick went silent for a moment. “What do I have to do?”

“Just say yes, and I can release you from your burdens, from your sorrows and guilt. You can move on, Nick.”

Again, Nick became hesitant. “O…Okay. Yes, I say yes,” Nick said through a sigh.

Lucifer smiled, and in an instant, nothing was seen from the alleyway except a bright, white light as Lucifer possessed his new vessel. He's one step closer to Sam seeing him.