Chapter 7

Virgil's POV

I could feel my entire body quake as I voice the same thoughts I'd been telling Thomas and myself for years. I had tried to stop myself, but, being there with Roman, there was no hope. I fluttered my eyes open, scared to see the look in Princey's.

He seemed shocked, but there were also a million other emotions that swirled in a jumble of curiosity and confusion in his face.

I managed, "I'm g—gonna go..." I looked down, suddenly more interested in my feet that Roman. I walked as quickly as my feet would carry me, which, in my current state, wasn't very fast, towards the door, ignoring the sound of movement on the bed.

"Virgil, wait."  He grabbed ahold of my wrist, halting me.

If I hadn't been anxious before, I certainly was now. My body instantly began to shake again. "Please, let go," I whispered, the sound barely audible even in the uncomfortable silence that hung between us like smog.

"Virge—"

"Please..." A single tear dropped from my right eye as I squeezed them both shut as tight as I could. As it landed on the floor, it felt like the loudest sound in the world. Stop freaking out, I told myself. Calm down, please.  Please... Slowly, his grip loosened, and I reached for the doorknob, slipping out of his room and into the safety of my own.

The panic attack surged through me as soon as I closed my door. I down to the floor, pulling my knees to my chest. I cried, my breaths coming in short, wheezed gasps as I clenched my hands into fists. Something in the back of my mind told me I wasn't breathing as much as I should, but, even knowing that, I still couldn't convince myself to come down or even care. My vision grayed and blackened around the edges until I was surrounded in complete darkness.

And I fell.

Roman's POV

"Please..." When Virgil said that, he's sounded so defeated and broken. It shattered my heart.

I slowly released his wrist, watching him walk out. Once I heard his bedroom door shut, I collapsed into bed, awash with regret and realization.

I kissed Virgil... and ruined any chance I had with him. I managed to do that all in the span of a couple of minutes? That had to be some sort of record, I told myself as I buried my head in my hands. Can I do anything right?

Tears pricked my eyes. I couldn't move, so I just laid on top of the covers. I didn't remember falling asleep, only that, but the time I did, my cheeks hadn't dried.

Thomas's POV

I woke up in pain—so much pain. My head screamed in agony as I sat up; it throbbed with every breath. Even the light from the street seemed too much for me. I pressed my palms into my temples in an attempt to alleviate some of the torture.

It didn't help.

What's happening?

Even the thought seemed to hurt.

"Lo—Lo—Logan," I managed. If anyone knew the answer, it would be him.

He rose up from the floor, his eyes instantly analyzing all of his surroundings. "What happens to be the issue, Thomas?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but all that came out was exasperated breathing. I folded over, the pain getting worse.

Logan seemed to notice my pain and stepped closer to me. He let out a sigh, as though preparing himself, and snapped his fingers. He gasped, bit his lip, and quickly snapped again before collapsing to the floor. His breathing mimicked mine as his eyes searched for some sort of answer.

"What's going on, Logan?" I asked between forced breaths, struggling to speak at all.

"You've never had one before..." He trailed off, leaving my question unanswered.

"And?" I demanded, letting out a groan as my head protested speaking.

"Patton!" he called, and, slowly, the dad-figure rose up from the floor.

Logan's loud voice made me flinch.

Patt asked, "How can I help?" When he looked at me, he froze. He dropped his tone to be more serious as he said, "What's wrong, Thomas?"

Logan leaned in and whispered something in his ear, forcing me to stare at them in waiting.

"I'll stay with him," I heard Patt mutter.

"What's—"  I stopped myself, letting out a groan as the pain got worse.

Patton hushed me while Logan sank back into the floor. Gently, he pressed his palm into my forehead, simultaneously easing me down into my bed and taking my temperature.

The movement made my brain feel like it was being stabbed.

"Just lay here and rest," Patt whispered. "Close your eyes; Logan's going to make it better soon."

Minutes seemed like hours as I laid there, wrapped in the warmth of my bed.  I could feel Patton staring at my back with worried eyes, but I couldn't convince myself to move again. Eventually, the pain had eased, though not fully dissolved. I conjured up the courage to roll onto my other side, looking at the dad-figure. "Patt?" I whispered.

"Yeah, kiddo?"

"How long has it been?"

I could see the worry in his eyes as he tried to seem happy, just as he always did. "About half an hour. Are you feeling any better?"

"A little." I was tired—too tired to care much. "Is it okay if I go back to sleep?"

He smiled, and it seemed genuine this time. "Of course."