Chapter 15

Thomas's POV

It's been over two weeks since my encounter with Noah. Joan hung out as much as they could, often times bringing Talyn with them. Today was a nice break from the usual.

We were finally writing a new Sanders Sides.

I sat on the couch with my laptop. I took a quick drink from my soda and looked over at Joan and Talyn. "Okay, so we talked about introducing a new character last night." We had run our ideas dry the first night of working, which had left us without any motivation. Finally, as we were hanging out last night, the idea popped into Joan's head, and we had given ourselves the night to think about it.

The two nodded eagerly, waiting for me to continue.

"We also talked about this being an episode about honestly." I thought back to the weird occurrence the other day.

"Yeah, so we need a name or a title for them," Joan said. "What about... 'Trickery?'"

Virgil's POV

"Deceit," I corrected Joan. Quickly, I slapped a hand over my mouth. Shit. Fuck!

I stared at the snake-faced dick that rose up into the common space at the mention of this title. He gave me a warning glare, his one yellow eye sending horrible chills down my spine, the gaze all too familiar.

I shoved my fight-or-flight reflex down my throat and stood up, coming face-to-face with the creep. "Try me, bitch," I said sternly and sunk out of the room.

I sat down on my bed and sighed. Sure, Thomas knew about Deceit now, but we still tried to keep from telling him these things—the things about us that would complicate his mind and send him to a psych ward. Shit.

Thomas's POV

"What about 'Deceit?'"

"Yes!" Talyn gasped.

Thanks, Virge. "Now, what about outfits and makeup?"

"We could do a weird distortion kind of thing in post. You know, since lying is all about distorting the truth."

That sounded nice, but I sighed. "I really want to do makeup... Virgil's the only fun we get to have, and his makeup isn't very challenging."

The other two thought for a second before Talyn spoke, "What if we did a kind of two-face thing?"

Roman's POV

"Snake," I offered at Talyn's idea.

Deceit popped into my room.

"Nope! I am just doing my job! Snakes symbolize mistruths; Suzy Kassem once said, 'Truth is as straight as an arrow, while a lie swivels like a snake.'"

"Lovely..."

Virgil's POV

Thomas and his friends kept working, but I'd honestly stopped paying attention. I lay back on my bed, hoping to fall asleep.

Someone rose up from the floor. "I absolutely love it when you talk about me," the familiar voice came.

I turned my head to the side, looking at him through my eyelashes. "What do you want, Deceit? It's been a while since we talk; I was starting to think you forgot about me. I didn't miss it."

He pulled me up from the bed, then shoved me to the floor.

I stared at him blankly, remembering vividly why I left the Dark Sides.

He crouched down and grabbed ahold of my hair, pulling back. There was no hiding my pain.

That was the problem with me. All of the other Sides controlled when they felt pain. I couldn't—I'd never been able to. Deceit took advantage of that.

He threw me backward, my head hitting the floor and the air surging from my lungs.

Before either one of us could act, there was a knock at the door.

I sat up, my head spinning.

"Hey, Virge, would you like to hang out?" Roman asked, knocking again.

I opened my mouth to tell him no, or later, or something to get him to go away, but Deceit covered my mouth.

"Is that really the smartest option?" he whispered in my ear.

I struggled against him, but he only tightened his grip.

"Virge, are you in here?" Roman opened the door and stopped in his tracks.

I managed to shove Deceit off of me.

He smiled. "Bye, Virgil." He winked and sunk out.