Chapter 20

Roman's POV

"I love you," I said happily before kissing Virgil again.

He hummed in response, kissing back until we both pulled away. "Thanks for the wake-up call," he chuckled.

I smirked and kissed him again. All thoughts of my plans for the day slipped from my mind as our lips connected. I found myself on top of him.

Thomas' POV

Joan and Talyn were going to be there in half an hour, and Virgil and Roman still hadn't shown up. I needed to talk to all four of them before my friends got there.

I looked over at Patton and Logan to find them exchanging glances.

"What's going on?" I asked. "You're keeping something from me, aren't you?"

"It's not our place to tell you, kiddo," Patton put it simply.

I tried summoning them again, but neither showed.

Looking almost guilty, Logan offered, "You are capable of demanding their presence, though I do advise against it."

"What do you mean?"

"It summons the trait against their will, and it's certainly not a pleasant feeling. If they're busy, you'll also lose cognitive function in that department, which isn't ideal."

I ran it over in my head.

Virgil's POV

I was faintly aware of the tugging feeling in my gut, but I couldn't bring myself to focus on it. Finally and unhappily, I managed to pull myself away from Roman. "We should—"

I screamed.

I grabbed my head in pain, pulling my legs against my chest. Tears rolled over my cheeks. I felt Roman fall next to me.

When I opened my eyes again, we were in Thomas's living room. My head rang agonizingly. I tried to stand but regretted it. My feet couldn't seem to hold me, and I fell into someone. Roman. I didn't have to look at him to recognize the feeling of the hands on my waist, steadying me. "What the hell were you thinking, Thomas?" I demanded, though there wasn't much force behind my voice.

Thomas seemed to be collecting himself. Finally, he responded, "I needed you here. I called for both of you but neither of you bothered to show up. Logan said I could do this to get you two here."

Princey shot Logan a look over his shoulder, but I was too focused on staying upright. My voice shook, from the pain, anger, or dizziness, I didn't know. "Never do that again. You have no idea how painful it is."

Thomas's angry expression dropped instantly. "You guys can feel pain?"

I nodded, and my head throbbed with the movement. Softening my voice, I answered him, "We're you. We all feel, to some degree, whatever you feel—emotional and physical."

"I guess that makes sense." He sighed. "Look, guys, I'm sorry. I didn't know."

I forced a smile and pulled myself away from Roman, ready to stand on my own.

Then came the dreaded question. "What were you guys doing that was so important anyway?"

I felt myself pale. Is it time to tell him? We shouldn't lie, right? I leaned into Princey and whispered in his ear, quiet enough that no one else could hear, "Do you want to tell him? I think I'm okay with it if you are."

He smiled softly at me. "Thomas, there's something we should tell you," he began. Taking a deep breath and giving me one last look to make sure I was okay, he continued, "Virgil and I are dating."

It took him a minute before a smile spread over Thomas's lips. "Really?"

I nodded, smirking as I glanced at Roman. He wrapped his arms around my waist, and I grinned like an idiot.

Thomas seemed incredibly giddy, an emotion I'm sure reflected Patton's. "I'm really happy for you guys."

The knock at the door startled us all, and Thomas mumbled something about being unprepared. The four of us simply wished him luck in varying ways while Patton, ever the father-figure, told him he would do just fine.

After sinking into the floor and popping back up in the Mind, I looked at Roman, kissed him, and sighed heavily. "I can't believe we told him."

He rested his forehead against mine. "I love you so much."

I pecked his nose. "I love you, too."